Valve lapping question for a Fresh build!

CRAZYBEN

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering if i have just had my valves grinded. MY head has been cleaned adn seats have been grinded. Would i still do Valve lapping with course then fine compound or would i just use Fine lapping compound? Thanx in advance.

I would start by simply "bluing" the valves to check for a good seat. Color the valve with a Sharpie and tap-tap it into the seat. If you see any spots on the seat where the color didn't transfer then lap the valve.

I had my old valves resurfaced only to find out later that Yamaha sprays a hardener on the valve faces. When you resurface grind them, the surface is ground off. The valves will be wasted in about 1500 miles because they are to soft. Just something an old retired Yamaha mechanic told me. Take it for what it's worth. I went ahead and replaced mine with stainless valves from Mikesxs.:D

I would test them for leaks. If they leaked, I would lap them until they didn't. I'm not sure why you had them cut. That's usually only needed if they're really in bad shape. I've found lots of leakers but none bad enough to require cutting. All were re-sealed just by hand lapping.

Take a good look in your ports. Looks like the lunar landscape, huh. Your time and money would be better spent cleaning them up.

plane ben are you saying that i just wasted my time and money grinding down my valves?

Crazyben. Yes, that's is what I'm saying. I did the same thing and found out I ruined the valves.:doh:

Attachments

• DoAll.jpg
    DoAll.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 238
I would think so but I'm no expert on this stuff. While I'm pretty meticulous, I haven't progressed to this point yet. And if I did, I'd probably just grab the Sharpie like MrRiggs does, lol.

Isn't this bluing that you speak for before you get the valves and head machined? I had the cylinders pistons also inspected for clearance adn wear.

Isn't this bluing that you speak for before you get the valves and head machined? I had the cylinders pistons also inspected for clearance adn wear.

The use of blueing compound such as Dychem is covered in Clymer Manual on page 61 & 62 and also I believe on page 23 of Chapter 3 (Engine Overhaul) in Service Manual.

In these sections, the blueing compound (used along with a small amount of fine grinding compound applied to the valve seat) is used (on valve face) to assist with 1) measurement of the valve seat width and 2) determination of the position of the valve seat.

The valve faces were hardened down several thousands deep, called stellite. You can safely grind off a couple thousands (.001") and still have the stellite surface, much more and it's the softer steel that'll hit the seats. After several thousand miles of riding, those valve faces will be concave, they'll still work, but won't be as tolerant of overheating.

We always did, as a minimum, a light lap with the finest compound. The grey frosting on the valve and seat was used as a visual confirmation of valve/seat matching. If you can't see this, just use the sharpie or marks-a-lot on clean/dry valve and seat, lap without compound, inspect the marks. Final leak test, done a variety of ways, involves assembling valves/springs/keepers, brace head up, pour solvent into ports, leave it for 15-30 minutes, look for weeping/moisture/runs around valve faces.

I was wondering if i have just had my valves grinded.

is this a typo ? it reads like you may have already had the valves lapped ?

I think its its sensible to keep things in perspective. You are working on a 30+ year old bike and if you restore everything on the bike to the same highest possible standard you'll be facing a second mortgage or bankrupcy.

Its not like this engine is going to be used for racing. If it were my bike I'd just use some fine lapping compound gently to check how well the valves are seating . The grey compound will show you any high spots that need working.

Engineers blue is a dye that Engineers use on high precision machining work which this isn't :wink2:

Back