Lapping valves the lazy man's way.

toglhot

First class butcher.
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I thought you might enjoy this.
Lapping valves is just so boring, I have a lot of better things to do than sit around rubbing a stick between my hands for hours on end

Using a drill for this job is nothing new, but cordless screwdrivers are better as they spin quite slow. Sitting there, holding the trigger is also pretty damn boring, so, I rigged up this Makita screwdriver with an 8mm fuel tube over the screwdriver shaft, shoved a 6mm fuel tube into that and pushed it over the valve head.

I then attached a zip tie around the trigger, and a hand clamp around the handle to stop it spinning. Angled the head, turned it on and got on with something else. Returning every now and then to renew the paste and reverse direction.

Cordless screwdrivers are ideal for this job as they spin quite slow.
So, if you're easily bored like me, give it a shot. I should have jumped on the lathe and made a proper setup. After all, I do like making stuff.

Attachments

• WIN_20231026_11_15_29_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20231026_11_15_29_Pro.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 35
All it takes is a tap every now to lift it. But, I have much better things to do than sit there hanging on to a screwdriver. Sorry if you don't, perhaps you should look around.

I have a Makita and love it. 20 years old and the second battery pack, Li, transforms it. My uncle is the patenter of the Milwaukee Sawzall but he never compensated me for being an adoring nephew so I can't afford the top of the line Milwaukee Tools. My cousins can though...

I have a Makita and love it. 20 years old and the second battery pack, Li, transforms it. My uncle is the patenter of the Milwaukee Sawzall but he never compensated me for being an adoring nephew so I can't afford the top of the line Milwaukee Tools. My cousins can though...
👍👍👍!!!

I've never had any luck with Makita, three angle grinders and one drill, all caput. Won't touch them usually.

I do have a Bosch IXO electric screwdriver with all the attachments, very handy, but like all Bosch tools, hopelessly underpowered.

I have a few Milwaukee tools, a couple of drills, angle grinder a Sawzall, a blower, a rotary tool and a jigsaw, Milwaukee are the duck's guts.

I only bought the Makita screwdriver because the Milwaukee one was too expensive.

I also have a suite of cheaper Ozito Xchange cordless tools: A couple of drills, angle grinders, rotary tools and random orbital sanders, plus a circular saw, small blower, impact driver, radio. Ozito are Einhill from memory, rebadged 'Ozito' for our Bunning hardware stores.

Last edited:
Using a power drill of any kind isn't recommended for lapping valves, too easy to over-do it. And it shouldn't take hours to do it by hand. If it does you're doing something wrong, maybe using too fine of a compound.

In 55 years, I think,I've done enough valves to know how long it takes. I would have thought a flippant remark like 'hours on end', in the context it was used, would have given some clue, apparently not!

I suppose if you used the drill flat out, it would over do it, but it's quite easy to limit the speed of a 'modern' drill, just don't pull the trigger all the way in. Drills now have speed control, you can now regulate the speed from 0 - 2000rpm. Isn't modern technology amazing? Cordless screwdrivers are even better, they don't go much faster than a savage rubbing a stick between his palms for 'hours on end' to start a fire.

At any rate, my hands. don't allow me to rub my palms together, hence why I use a cordless screwdriver. But I wonder, how stupid would you have to be be to use a drill flat out lapping valves. The mind boggles.

Another to add to the list.

Makita have been my go to tools for 30 odd years, drills power-saws, grinders, battery drills. Pretty robust but like most gear there are the very few failures, mostly due to my failures like dropping the power saw off the roof, cutting through the power lead, other than that the tools just wore out, from use as a carpenter, from old age.

Also Makita does sell tools in their range that look the same but have less output, eg: 600watt instead of 750watt. Especially drills and grinders.

Those that are on the cheap and not in the trade don't usually pick that up, then complain about the tools ability or quality.

Another thing about Makita I really like is they fit my hands,(and I don't have small hands), A lot of other brands are to bulky.

Also the power-saws plate is designed to be able to easily see where to cut.

Last edited:
Back