how many right side eng. covers are there?

DIRTY DOG

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I have an odd one the oil filter bolts are not the same as all the others I have seen
they set at an angle insted of 3 and 9 this one is 5 and 11 I don't have a pic right now
and I'm in for the night the back can't take any more tonight.I've looked a lot of pic's on here and there are all 9 and 3 :shrug:
I think I found it is a 71 dif than all the others there is a pic of stevec8831 71 here in the pic it's like that one any info about that
is it a 71 only

Yes preproduction, 70-71 but not 72 on.

AFAK The 1970 ad, magazine test bike(s) were preproduction bikes and have the 5-11 bolt locations.
There's lots of "70 only" bits and pieces.

There are a couple versions of the later covers as well. The very last ones had the oil site glass.

Um..., lesseeee, the very early XS1's used an o-ring in the filter cover, it had a groove for that. Then they went to using a gasket. Those would all interchange. XS1B's used that same later '70 engine/filter cover combo. Now here's where it gets screwy. The parts fiche for 70-73 shows the same '256' clutch cover for '70-'73, but show a cutover to the newer 3-9 O'clock filter cover somewhere in the XS2 production. I guess pics of XS2's and TX's would confirm that...

I think there are some years where the cover is machined deeper to clear clutch assembly changes?

I've always wondered if the filter cover screw arrangement was to accomodate some sort of oil gallery pathway change that accompanied the trochoid oil pump upgrade from 6mm to 8mm rotors. Would be nice to have both cover types sitting side-by-side to do this comparison...

I've always wondered if the filter cover screw arrangement was to accomodate some sort of oil gallery pathway change that accompanied the trochoid oil pump upgrade from 6mm to 8mm rotors. Would be nice to have both cover types sitting side-by-side to do this comparison...

I'll check that out today I'll set both side by side and check them out

Back