Oil Cooler Mount Position Bad Idea?

rowdyrandy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
This came to me a dream...:laugh:

Has anybody tried to mount an oil cooler down low, using the draw of the pump rather than the push? Seems like you could tap the sump plate like I've shown in the pic (leo, nicked your picture, hope thats ok..:thumbsup:) and then run the lines to the cooler up front, which fits like a glove at the bottom of the cradle..I kinda assume no ones done it because there's something here I don't understand but seems like a slick idea..

thoughts?

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Attachments

• OilCoolerMod_zpscf2b519a.jpg
    OilCoolerMod_zpscf2b519a.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 2
  • OilCoolerMod2_zpsfc574269.jpg
    OilCoolerMod2_zpsfc574269.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 3
Amazing! I've been cogitating about something like that for the past 2 weeks!

Maybe you're a good 'receiver'.

I like the idea of cooling before the pump, so it will perform better with the thicker oil.

Was thinking along the lines of an all-new sump plate, a bit thicker to accomodate edge mounted fittings, but facing rearwards, to plumb to a hidden cooler behind the engine.

It's best if the whole arrangement sets below the engine oil level...

Putting the cooler after the pump means that oil is flowing into the pump unrestricted and then gets pressurized to go through the oil cooler.

I would be worried about it possibly starving the pump of oil if it was before the pump but that depends on the flow you can get through the cooler of course. If it is basically the same flow as with out the cooler then I think this could be a great idea.

The location of the oil cooler should be fine.
The only problem I can think of if you plumb it in the way you describe is the oil may get an air bubble in a high spot in the line or cooler and not let oil flow.
The oil flow from the sump to the oil pump is by gravity. This limits the possibilities.
You can try it. It may work. I don't think I would.
Leo

Now what if you had a working oil tank that was mounted higher than the oil cooler but ran to it. Then somewhere have the oil returned to the oil tank?

Not sure how this works but just an idea

I've often thought adding an electric pump to pump oil from the sump through a very fine filter to a tank set up so it would hold a quart or so of oil then as the pump fills the tank the oil runs out an over flow back into the engine. You could plumb the cooler into this line.
The stock oil pump would still draw and pump oil just as it does. The extra pump would only filter and cool the oil.
The tank holding extra oil will increase the oil capacity, this and the very fine filtration and the cooling would help the oil last longer.
Leo

I've often thought adding an electric pump to pump oil from the sump through a very fine filter to a tank set up so it would hold a quart or so of oil then as the pump fills the tank the oil runs out an over flow back into the engine. You could plumb the cooler into this line.
The stock oil pump would still draw and pump oil just as it does. The extra pump would only filter and cool the oil.
The tank holding extra oil will increase the oil capacity, this and the very fine filtration and the cooling would help the oil last longer.
Leo

I like that, an aux pump and reservoir/cooler.
Imagine plumbing that with banjos on modified oil drain plugs.
Electric pump would turn on at specified temp.
If the tank was vented, you could plumb the crank breather to it...

Gravity..... the missing link.

[/URL][/IMG]

I didn't even think about the pump sitting below the oil level, so is there no actual suction provide by the pump? or just none to really speak of...?

But if the cooler did sit below the oil level like twomany said then it should just balance all the same I would think...as long as line diameter and the twists and turns of the radiator don't drag too much.

Air is a very real possibility here too, good call. If the lines stayed facing downwards though, maybe a bleed screw at the top could be used to purge the system... or have the cooler disconnected from the frame when you add oil - lay it flat, kick the bike over a few times to move oil through, then mount it..

problem solving. love it.

Attachments

• xsengine_zps56ed4326.jpg
    xsengine_zps56ed4326.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 2
The pump does create some suction But just how much I can't say. As the bike sets the oil level in the sump is above the pump. As the oil pump moves the oil gravity pushes oil to the pump, as well as the pump pulling the oil.
As I said I don't know just how much.
I don't think I would want add any restriction on the sump side of the pump.
Leo

That's a positive displacement pump. As long as it doesn't loose its prime, I would expect it it to pull 25-28 inHg. Atmospheric pressure, plus crank pressure pulses push oil into the pump...

That's a positive displacement pump. As long as it doesn't loose its prime, I would expect it it to pull 25-28 inHg. Atmospheric pressure, plus crank pressure pulses push oil into the pump...

Is road debris being "thrown" off the front wheel an issue?
Yamimoto

This whole thread intrigues me. I love the idea of running a oil cooler to keep temps down.

:popcorn:

I am going to think about this for a hour or so when I go to bed tonight. Will let you all know if I have any ideas in the morning.

coolers should always be placed after the filter, as hot, thin oil is easier to filter, and filters better, than cold, thick oil

Back