Homemade Tachometer Part

tracer1966

Kaptain Kluge
Reaction score
I fabbed a part for the bike this week, and wanted to pass along the idea in case anyone needs something similar.

The missing part was the threaded attachment on the RH engine cover for the tach cable to thread onto. A PO lost it and held things together, mostly, with wire. I mainly used a chop saw and lathe in my brother's machine shop, but a hacksaw and drill press would probably suffice. It started with a 5/8 fine thread bolt.

Attachments

• Tach_Kluge 001.JPG
    Tach_Kluge 001.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 5-8ths_Bolt.JPG
    5-8ths_Bolt.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 215
  • Cut_Off_Hex_Head.JPG
    Cut_Off_Hex_Head.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 212
  • Lathe-ing_Away.JPG
    Lathe-ing_Away.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 222
  • All_Finished.JPG
    All_Finished.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 184
  • Half-Way_In.jpg
    Half-Way_In.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 191
  • Locked_N_Loaded.jpg
    Locked_N_Loaded.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 177
  • Tach_Works.jpg
    Tach_Works.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 200
It is indeed. 5/8 SAE. I assume the -18 is for fine thread.

I'm pretty sure an M16 fine thread would have been best, but the local ACE didn't go past M14.

So I tried the SAE fine thread drawers and lucked out with the 5/8.

As noted, it might be off a little, but if it works as well as 7/16 does for 11mm, I'll roll with it. :bike:

Thanks for noticing!

Another great 650 Jedi shares his powers with us Padawans!

Clearly, much Force you used in making this Hammer/Wrench/Saber yours!

2 thoughts . . .

1. Leatherman has got nuthin on you.

2. I hope you're not a proctologist.

That thing looks like something from the Middle Ages. If it was made in the 1960s, or there abouts, that would be close enough for most kids today.

You are hereby dubbed . . .

Sir Wrenchalot!

OK, so there are more than 2 thoughts here. That's why I'm still a Padawan. :shrug:

Well, decided to go out there, and check the tach drive thread diameter and pitch just to be sure. The diameter measured at 0.625 (5/8"), but that's very close to 16mm (0.630). The thread pitch was very close to 18 TPI (1.41mm), but the pitch is actually 1.5mm (16.9 TPI).

So, it's really an M16 x 1.5. The difference to the 5/8 SAE is so close that you could probably get 2 to 3 turns before the threads start to bind, maybe more if the threads are sloppy. This is kinda like using #10-32 screws in an emergency for M5 x 0.8 screws.

Edit: Confirmation that it's really M16-1.5mm.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/on-the-road-again-at-40-the-bike-that-is.49360/page-44#post-548936

Last edited:
Back