76 XS bobber project

stuntdouble

Contract Killer
Reaction score
evening gents, just got my bike yesterday. i traded another member Craig (9c1cap) my dirtbike for his 76 XS. Craig is a stand up guy and even went through the trouble of first, gettin this old bucket running after sitting for years and then was decent enough to bring it down to me from about an hour away. heres some pics.

IMG_0741.jpg

Highway Bars-GONE, Front fender-GONE, got rid of the mirrors cause they didnt really work

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

Part of me wants to go to town and start really tearin her down but part of me wants to go get tags and beat around on this thing for a while. found a little rust in the tank though so i probably wont be riding it. other than that she runs like a champ (when i dont flood it) and im happy as a pig in shit! thats all for now, im goin back out in the garage!

Dam! you wasted little time! Ive got a bet going that I cant go 24 hours before tearing into that KDX...one more hour and free lunch for a week! Find ya a hardtail yet??

Chop 'at sumbitch!!

Craig

im gonna go with the TC bros. Probably order it next week. i rode it for about a half an hour today just up and down through the neighborhood about 10 times, got it hot and saw no signs of oil leaking. maybe all it needed was to get that little bit of oil in there to seal it up?

i have a lot to do over the winter months so as long as its not showing any warning signs of a potential catastrophic failure, ill probably put off the engine rebuild til later. although maybe not... im undecided, i wanna ride!

Look what I did today...

IMG_0742.jpg

My parts pile is gettin bigger :D

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

Gettin the carbs out wasnt as bad as y'all make it sound

IMG_0746.jpg

Applied a heathly coat of PB to everything I hope to tackle tomorrow.

You know, Im effing shocked this thing is coming apart as easily as it is. Its 34 years old and I dont think the PO had every taken anything apart and I have yet to have trouble with a single nut or bolt.... or electrical connection for that matter which could either be because, A. Im doing it wrong, or B. I broke it :shrug:

More to follow...:thumbsup:

Oh yeah, and after goin for a short ride today, (with the pipes off :D) I have decided that I will definitely be investing in the 5th gear overdrive. I thought I read on one of these threads that Mikesxs sells them. Anyone have one and have any thoughts on it as far as quality and ease of installation? Thanks!

-MIKE

Progress to date....

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

First snag so far. I think the PO put a standard nut on a metric stud. or maybe just a really bad crossed thread?

IMG_0755.jpg

Also found this when I removed the top motor mount. Dont know how big of a deal this is, can I just put a different valve cover on? I am not too proficient with the 650 mill yet so any advice is welcome and would be appreciated! Thanks for lookin'!

No, the rocker covers are machined to the head and they have are numbered on the rocker/head
You say it is a 76, the front end looks to be a 77 or later 35 mm forks and brake rotor and the carbs are BS34's off the 80 and later models

Yeah the carbs are not factory on this bike. Thought the were 38's but not sure. As far as the rocker cover what do you suggest to fix it? JB Weld? :D

Mike, anybody with a TIG or even a spoolgun could V that out and weld it up. A little dremel work and she'll look new again. And the carbs are 34s off of my 81.

Craig

Thanks Craig. I was startin to think I would have to run without a top motor mount..... Next to tackle is bringin the motor out.

its been a while and I havent had much goin on with the project due to a family thing that I dont really wanna talk about... Im trying to pull the engine and have all the bolts/nuts loose with exception to the rear mount bolts. Ive tried elbow grease, PB blaster and even a big cheater bar and cant seem to break them free. any ideas or should i just cut them off and buy new hardware? I guess cutting them would be the easiest and I suppose Ill be replacing all the hardware anyway.

Pulled the engine today, getting ready to cut off the sub-frame to make way for the TC Bros hardtail. Anyone have plans for a brace to go between the motor mounts so that I can assure the factory geometry specs dont change?

I left engine in until the hard tail was tack welded then I pulled engine and finished welding (or at least my buddy did LOL)

yeah, I know but Im thinking about making a brace of some sort that way I can start tearing down the motor and dont have to wait on my welder to finish up the hardtail.

Back