can somebody identify this part?

milqtostr

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have used this forum for information many times and I have always been impressed with the knowledge base here... so I guess this is a good place to go for help with my question-

Last fall I rebuilt my '77 XS650D. I had the engine out and everything apart down to the cases- I did not split the cases. (The jug fell off the workbench was damaged so I ended up putting a 750 kit in too). But when I was all done, I noticed a clip on my workbench area. Any comments on where these clips are used, other than under the timing cover for the mechanical ignition advance...

I have a few other bikes and miscellaneous things going on in my garage, so I suppose there is a chance it found its way onto my workbench and is not related...

I will try to attach the photo, let me know if it doesn't work. thanks for any help

20140520_180144_zpsbca2ea5d.jpg

o). - - - I noticed a clip on my workbench area. Any comments on where these clips are used, other than under the timing cover for the mechanical ignition advance... - - -
- - - like they have on the TV cop shows. That lets you know how big the object is.
Without something to show the size the photo only shows that it's an E-ring.

I can do that, but I would estimate it is the same size as the ones used for the mechanical advance.. like maybe the diameter of a pencil eraser

My best guess. It's not a YamYam part. Just doesn't look right for Yamaha.

TwoMany, it is an odd shape for Yamaha. Don't recall seeing that design of a circlip.

Well, knowing that these bikes have a history, and previous owners may have tried to do something creatively, my best guesses would be:

Gas cap pins, carb choke linkage, ignition points post, emblem pins, or simply a 'lost' clip that magically reappeared after years of hiding in the dark recesses...

Yes, that's the problem these days, everything has been swapped out or changed and owners (actually everyone) have trouble identifying original from the after-market parts.

It does look exactly like the ones on the advance weights, why is being one of those off limits? They have flown on me a few times. I wonder then; why did I put all the colored chips in my epoxy floor?

It does look exactly like the ones on the advance weights, why is being one of those off limits? They have flown on me a few times. I wonder then; why did I put all the colored chips in my epoxy floor?

Back