Top end Copper Sealing Washer Kit XS650

itsatoy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I ordered this kit from MikesXS mostly to eliminate leaks around the oil feed tube but it also comes with a few more copper washers.

The description:
Top end Copper Sealing Washer Kit - 9 pc. Fits: All 650's
Kit contains: 1pc. # 90430-14043 ( @ Oil feed tube base at crankcase), 4 pc.
# 90430-10027 ( @ Oil feed tube - Top of head at bolts), 2pc. 90430-11033 (@
Rear of cam chain guide support nuts to cylinder front), 2 pc.# 90430-06014 @
(Cam chain guide fastening bolts at front of cylinder).

XS1 XS1B XS2 TX650 XS650

Should I go ahead and install the washers in bold or am I going to loosen something inside? I'm not wanting to remove the head at this point. :shrug:

I wouldn't touch those front bolts unless the cylinder was off. They hold the front cam chain guide in place and it must be aligned vertically to run right with the chain. The only way to properly center it in there is with the cylinder off. I suppose you could do just one at a time but I'd be concerned with the guide alignment shifting.

There is a risk of getting the front chain guide a little off-center, misaligned. If you do one set (support nut and fastening bolt) at a time, the remaining set may keep the guide from moving...

Thanks again 5twins, and those 4 washers all go on those two bolts right?

Whoops didn't see your post TwoMany, I'm not going to mess with it until I go in to replace the guide. :thumbsup:

Yes, the larger washer goes under the bigger bottom fitting and the smaller one under the M6 bolt that passes through the bigger fitting .....

GuideMounts.jpg

The large fittings have some play in the hole that the small bolt passes through. That allows you to center the front guide in the cam chain tunnel and measure off the sides of it (top and bottom) to insure it's perfectly vertical. That's why this is best done with the cylinder off.

That isn't known as a leak-prone area. Chances are, if it's all oily there, it came from the head gasket, just above it.

Yeah The whole engine was filthy with possible leaks in a lot of places (mostly dry) from the PO and I only had it running in my garage before I disassembled it for repaint since it was in the dead of winter. I installed the brass washers and retorqued. I am just replacing anything cheap and easy while I have the engine out. When I said eliminate oil leaks I should have said rule out.

Last edited:
Back