clutch pushrod

dlabkeeg

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm assuming it's not good when I can pull out the clutch pushrod. That could also mean that the little steel ball is gone.

if you have the 3 piece push rod or the long rod it will pull out of the left side not a problem but it does need to have the rods and balls in the right order

Attachments

• clutch bearings.JPG
    clutch bearings.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 344
Hi Delabkeeg, the push rod does come in & out easily.....What problem are you having?

If you ask retiredgentleman nicely, he'll tell you how far the rod should protrude from the case! :cheers:

oh, do you meen with the left cover removed?? I thought you might have been adjusting your clutch, took off the little cover, and it all fell apart in your hands. sorry.
Yeah. they pull out easy.

Placing a small dimple (by spinning the rod like with a drill and using a pointed dremmel stone) in exact center of the end of the rod "and" in the small rod in the push lever assembly causes the rods to self align on the ball when the clutch is depressed......this prevents wear to the seal and bushing and keeps the rod from wallowing out everything......explained that many times on other sites but I guess no one could figure it..........?

xsjohn

How can I tell if the the ball is still in there? Do I have to take the clutch housing off the other side and pull the whole thing out? Although it might be worth it to put in the one piece pushrod in. As far as a problem, no just getting to know the motor. It's not running yet, I'm getting another 78 xs650 tomorrow for $200.00 complete, runs but no title, guy just needs to get rid of it. PARTS BIKE, YEAH! May just swap motors.

:doh:Damn xsjohn, you must have better eyes, and steadier hands than me. Any time I drill in the center of anything it always shoots to one side or the other. Even if I use a punch first.

And jayel you said "rods and balls". I'm 38 and that stuff still makes me laugh.

glad to make you happy if you're that easily amused:laugh: you could lay the bike over on it's side the other pieces of the (those words again) should slide out, lay a rag or something on the floor to keep the balls from rolling away under the cabinet

I think what john is saying is turn the rod in your drill like it's in a lathe and use a dremel to just indent the end a little so it cups and centers on the ball. As long as you can chuck it up straight in the drill, grinding a little out of the center of the end shouldn't be a problem. I thought they already had a little dimple in the ends of them for that reason. Never looked that close I guess... :shrug:

Oh yeah... To see if the ball is still in there, just put the rod back in and put the side cover back on without readjusting the worm gear, if the clutch has feel, the ball is still there, if the clutch is lever is limp, you're missing the ball.

- if using a manual for this be careful, many of the exploded diagrams are falsely drawn and show the turned down end that goes into the worm gear as pointing towards the motor-this is wrong, the smaller end must face away from the motor on the left hand side so it can fit into the worm gear
- replacing the 2 outer shorter rods and 1 ball bearing with a longer rod helps slow down seal and bush wear-keeps everything more aligned

- i reckon an hydraulically operated clutch gives even better feel and automatically compensates for the difference in expansion coefficients between the alu of the casing on the left and clutch pressure plate on the right, and the steel of the push rods and ball bearings inbetween

Back