Clutch not engaging?

slayer123

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So i have my 1977 xs650 and i hooked up the clutch cable and lever and when i pull the clutch when the thing is in gear the transmission gear doesnt move like it should since it is in neutral. i dont have a chain on it and the thing is not running when i am trying to spin it as i have the gas tank off. the clutch pushrod is all there along with the balls too. any thoughts?

...when i pull the clutch when the thing is in gear the transmission gear doesnt move like it should since it is in neutral...

Uh, yeah. My first thought is: "Huh?"

Try this: First read up on some of the "clutch" threads in the tech section, see if any of that makes sense. Then try to rephrase your question so that we can understand it...

Even with a well adjusted clutch there isn't much clutch plate separation. They drag. Like TwoMany said more info in the tech section

im sorry for the confusing thread question. so basically i have to put the bike in gear start it up and budge the front tire up against a wall and pull the clutch in and see if it unsticks? if that doesnt work i have to pull the side cover off and see if the clutch pads are sticking and take a screw driver and gently pry them apart?

Sometimes all that is needed (if you have the chain on and have followed the clutch adjustment procedure) is to put the bike in gear, pull in the clutch and rock it back and forth. Sometimes it works to free the clutch disks.

If you don't have a chain on, you won't be able to spin the countershaft sprocket by hand, even if the clutch is operating normally. There's just too much drag between all the parts. Is that what you're asking? Hard to tell.

yeah thats what im asking. i got it unstuck. i just started it up and jammed my foot on the back tire and it stopped. there is still some drag but thats normal im sure! thanks!

Back