spacer

bricky

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Okay, one more question here. 73 650 I purchased new petcocks as the old ones were just that, old. cracked, leaking etc....
My question, the old ones had a spacer between tank and petcock. Are they really needed?

The attached pdf file indicates a petcock spacer, part #40-1, unique to the '73 TX, but is not shown in the picture.

The Boats.net website lists the spacer as part #1, but doesn't depict it in the diagram.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1973/TX650/FUEL TANK/parts.html

70-73 tanks are the same, 70-73 petcocks are the same. The purpose of the spacer is unknown to me.

Edit: Perhaps it's part of the mid-model tank changeover (to solve a seam leak issue)???

Attachments

• 70-73_tank.pdf
    117.4 KB · Views: 181
The parts fiches are all wrong on this, 73 tank is different, it's a one year deal. Actually there are two 73 tanks, the one that came on the bike and the factory replacements for originals that developed leaking rear seams. I have several 73 tanks but will have to look to see about petcock spacers, don't recall it on 73, 79's had spacers. Probably needed for handle clearance or something, Yamaha wasn't much on using unnecessary parts....

yes they are needed otherwise petcock hits the seam on tank.found out the hard way. put my 73 tank into be painted telling them to mask off the emblem and petcocks instead of removing them.dickheads thought they new better.broke the tags on emblems (only emblem you cant buy after market emblem) and lost 1 of the spacers for petcock.so if anyone has a spare spacer laying around....HELP...none I can find in Australia....fuckwits offered to take $20 off $550 paint job and blamed it on apprentice:banghead:

Guess it won't hurt to re-install them. New petcocks, didn't think I'd need them. Better safe then sorry. Sorry to hear of your experience. Thanks for in-put

Bricky, it would be great if you could post a pic, with dimensions, of that spacer. With enuff detail so others could fabricate some if needed...

Good idea TwoMany. Gonna be tied up tonight and working tomorrow night, but will try my best to get a pic on here before the weekend. It is basically identical to the base of the petcock and about 1/8" thick. More to follow

Back