Tank Spray Paint Job! (PICTURES)

johnnymac

1975 xs650b
Reaction score
Tank Spray Paint Job! New pictures on page 2

Hi all- This is a great site with great people, thanks- I've been wanting to paint my tank for some time now and figured I'd just go for it. I got a tank for 20 bucks on ebay. I bondo'ed it and primed it then I descided on a design (kind of a speed racer/triumph looking thing). I got some spray on glitter black from the hardware store then I airbrushed some xylene based gold leaf craft paint. I own a little art store in california and made some decals (with the yamaha tuning forks on them) using a product called grafix Rub-Onz. The thing that I think made it all work was the SprayMax 2k topcoat. It is a 2 part spray in a can and put a coating on that I couldn't believe. (it also gave me a headache that lasted a couple of days) So definately wear a respirator like the instructions say. Here are some pictures of the process. I will post more picture with the tank on my bike. I think it turned out great for my first attempt at painting a tank- enjoy-

Attachments

• 1bondo1.jpg
    1bondo1.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 399
  • 2bondo2.jpg
    2bondo2.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 393
  • 3primer.jpg
    3primer.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 417
  • 4masked.jpg
    4masked.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 470
  • 5sprayed1.jpg
    5sprayed1.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 451
  • 6sprayed2.jpg
    6sprayed2.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 474
  • 7sprayed3.jpg
    7sprayed3.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 524
  • 8sprayclear1.jpg
    8sprayclear1.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 624
  • 9sprayclear2.jpg
    9sprayclear2.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 575
  • spraymaxclear.jpg
    spraymaxclear.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 550
Last edited:
That's really nice. How did you pin-stripe it? The 2k paint is nasty, and really calls for a fresh air respirator. It can have quick, permanent effects.

Really nice-you have a good eye. :)

John

Thanks for all the comments- Hooktool- I like to think I'll be better off with a few less brain cells (I tend to overthink things). Just kidding- This stuff is really nasty- Be very careful when using this stuff- As far as the pin-stripe goes, I got this cool striping tape from Kragen auto supply- I think its called multi liner or something. It works like any other tape but the two lines are held together with a clear top layer. Once you have it where you want it, you just burnish it down and then peel the top layer off- You are left with essentially two lines of decals that almost look like paint- Thanks again for the comments-

So, johhnymac, now that you're retarded from painting without a respirator, you don't have to worry about painting whatever else needs doing. :D

That's some sweet looking paint. Well worth the IQ reduction if you ask me. :thumbsup:

The sad part is that I used a respirator with brand new filters. I just kept coming back into the room to admire my handy work- That is why I'm only partially retarded, just the way I like it-

I just primed my frame and accesories today with SprayMax epoxy 2K. I made a small booth in the garage with an exhaust fan. Had a paper suit on, mask with cartridges and everything else covered. It is serious paint and will do some damge, (more damage in my case) if not respected. I am going to get to the base colors and clear coat by the weekend if all goes well. I hope it comes out as nice as yours did.

TwoJugs-You sound like a smart man- That spray booth is a great idea- I'd love to see some pictures of your project- I have a feeling it will turn out great. I will post some pics of my ride with the tank on in the next couple of days. That Spraymax stuff sure looks nice and glossy in the sun-

Thanks WacoBrian but I wasn't the only one in my house with a headache- I promised the wife no more spraying. Plus she descided that I painted my tank so well, I could paint the outside of our house too- $800.00 later I have the paint and about three weekends of work ahead of me.

looks good!! Couple things though . . filters don't stop isocyanates. I have said this on this forum for a while now . . you need to read up on the stuff. You see people on TV spraying with out fresh air. Well, can't promise you everyone is smart . . . matter of fact ,many people are quite dumb. But a professional booth with a lot of air flow will evacuate the isos pretty fast. So in fact they aren't getting as much exposure as you may think. Still if they do it everyday, it adds up. However, you in a make shift environment are putting yourself at risk. Just be warned. Second . . you didn't do the multicolor paint scheme correctly. Now I said it looks great, don't get me wrong, but the way you taped it isn't the best way to do it. The entire tank should have been painted gold first, then lay out for the black and then spray the black. Then clear the entire tank. This way is more time efficient and more accurate. I'm just pointing it out for the next time :)

Thanks for the info PetesPonies- That all makes lots of sence- I now totally see how painting the entire thing gold first would have made it easier- My only concern was that the xylene based gold leaf stuff I was spraying was wierd stuff- I was afraid that if I sprayed the black over the gold ther might be some adhesion problems. I will definately spray open air next time- Thanks again for the good info-

Kickass scallops johnnymac!

Dont mean to continue the safety patrol, but consider your eyes too! Most absorbent organ in your body. Fresh air is a bit extreme for the hobbyist just keep your resp's sealed up and mind their exposure time. Activated filters DO stop iso's. But keep yer skin and eyes covered too!
I use a PAP unit daily, a lot to lug around when you paint Peterbilts and the like for a living but better than dragging two hoses around a 60' paint booth!

Man it looks great, and thanks for the heads up on the respirator. I'm planning on painting my kz440 tank this winter.

Thanks 9c1cap- I'm feeling better now- I was wearing sealed goggles and new activated filters designed for chemicals and gasses (thats what the package said). I was stupid because about an hour after spraying I kept coming in and out to watch the clear dry- I will be more careful next time. Its a great product, but use caution-

Well I'm not getting into a useless pissing match here, thats why I said do the research. I've been painting automobiles for 35 years . . I know my stuff about safety.

PetesPonies- No your info is great- This is the stuff we need to know- I have never done this- I went to the store and bought a can of this stuff. It looks scary with skull and cross bones, etc. On the back it says for professional use only and to use a respirator. I am the farthest thing from a professional and I'm sure it was obvious to the guy at the paint store that I wasn't a pro. This is why your info is so important. They will sell these cans to anyone who has 20bucks. We all need to know the best way to deal with this stuff- If this thread stops another person from getting a two day head ache or worse, This is a very valuable thread- Thanks

Back