Tank Spray Paint Job! (PICTURES)

I use to work for the airline industry and we were issued pretty nice personal respirators. They had fresh air units too but I only put that on when crawling inside empty wings due to the fumes from the jet fuel. I went digging in my old tool cabinet and found a set of brand new 20 year old cartridges still in the wrappers. They are screw on types, charcoal activated if I remember. We sprayed 2K epoxy paint all the time and were required to use this set up so I guess it is approved, but then again...

Between that and the booth I feel I did what I needed for a garage project. The fan had a new A/C filter in front of it and it took a good dusting. I had it down low and it pulled the spray to the floor. In fact inside the booth is a good amount of dried paint dust on the floor that will get wet mopped tomorrow. When I am not using it I fold up the plastic and break down the frame and store it in the back yard.
paintbooth2.jpg

Here is a few pix to give you an idea on how it's going.
paintbooth3.jpg

paintbooth4.jpg

Second . . you didn't do the multicolor paint scheme correctly. Now I said it looks great, don't get me wrong, but the way you taped it isn't the best way to do it. The entire tank should have been painted gold first, then lay out for the black and then spray the black. Then clear the entire tank. This way is more time efficient and more accurate. I'm just pointing it out for the next time :)

I am planning on doing a very similar pattern on my tank. What is the theory with spraying the one before the other? I was planning to do it as this one was.

great looking setup- nice job! I believe the reason you want to spray all gold first is because it cuts the work down (by only having to mask once instead of twice). I did it the hard way because I didn't know any better and I was afraid the black might not adhere to the gold-

I can't figure how? I am going for a blue tank with the front chevrons silver. I am planning on painting the tank blue first then taping off the area to stay blue and spraying my silver pattern. Same work? I have more blue paint them silver and need to do the fender too. I hope my plans work.

Mine turned out exactly how I wanted it- and I did it my own way- Yours will turn out great- Just take your time in prep- good luck.

TwoJugs, you got the right recipe! Only thing to consider is ease of taping(which side of the pattern will be easiest to tape off), and how each one covers. Silver isnt very colorfast, especialy in a spraybomb. Depending on the shade of blue it may take many coats to cover! So try a test panel cause you may wanna lay the silver down first, and then the blue....

Craig

johnnymac-is that vinyl tape or really a decal type material? Real thin? That's all I could find. Seems like it would react with the clear coat if its vinyl.

Hurry and finish, we want to see it.

John

Thanks again for the comments- Hooktool- The tape was vinyl and fairly cheap as well- It had that top layer that held the two stripes together. After removing the top layer you are left with two strips of thin vinyl. I had no reaction to the clear at all infact yesterday I buffed the tank and left it in the 104 degree sun all day. That sucker got hot but looked great. That sealer is great stuff. I am getting a day off tomorrow (at last) and will take pictures as soon as the tank is on the bike- I'll also try to take some close-up shots of the vinyl striping with a better camera-

TwoJugs, you got the right recipe! Only thing to consider is ease of taping(which side of the pattern will be easiest to tape off), and how each one covers. Silver isnt very colorfast, especialy in a spraybomb. Depending on the shade of blue it may take many coats to cover! So try a test panel cause you may wanna lay the silver down first, and then the blue....

Craig

I didn't think about the cover properties? The blue is Marina Blue, a medium color with metallic. My problem is I already have 2 cans of blue, only 1 silver. Not sure I have eough silver to shoot the tank and fender first? I was thinking the 1 silver should be eough to do a fender stripe and the tank chevron, only if it covers though. Hmmm?

You might get lucky, just try a small test panel(you can get spray out cards from auto paint stores, they have multiple shades of grey so you know when you have full hiding). Spray out your blue until you get coverage, let it dry as you would on your tank, then see how the silver covers it. Hell even if you cant get full hiding and a cast of blue still peeks thru the silver, as long as the metallic is uniform it may look pretty cool...

Craig

Ok- Its later than I thought but here are the pictures I promised- I think it turned out o.k. for my first time.:)
Thanks for the comments-

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 238
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 225
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 234
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 252
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 280
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 283
Sorry- I can't help myself- heres one more- I shot this on my ride to work this morning. I can't believe she's all mine- Thanks again for the comments-

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 226
Is the paint gas resistent?.The epoxy paint I used to paint my gas tank was not and the first time a spilled a bit of gas...oh well you know the rest.

Sorry about your experience- This SprayMax 2K stuff is nasty to deal with but it is gas resistant. I sprayed a small sample piece and dipped it in gas for about 30 min. It didn't effect the finish at all.:)

thanks for the kind words- I had no idea what I was doing- and it came out way better than I expected- Take that spare tank and go crazy!

You have a knack for this! That is one fine ride there!

Back