I hate the capacitor, I want to reinstall a real battery...

Last edited:
The answer is yes you can ditch the capacitor and run a battery and you can rewire and install the starter. I have considered doin this myself

On the E-start, how much did the guy who did the kick only remove of the starter system? Depending on just how much he removed, putting the starter back in may not be enough.
The starter turns a set of gears under a cover behind/below the drive chain front sprocket. These gears turn a gear on a cross shaft. This shaft turns gears behind the clutch that turn the bendix gears. These bendix gears engage the teeth on the crank.
Some just remove the starter, others remove more, some even go so far as to remove the shaft that the bendix gears mount on.
If the cross shaft and the gear on the starter side have been removed, you need to split the cases to replace.
Leo

Kicker, if you get into the carbs and if they are indeed CVK34's from an ex500 check the jetting and needles. The generally accepted baseline for these is 38 pilot, 138 main and jjj needles. I my self am currently running 38 pilots 140 mains and gfh needles.

Back