hoist

jefft

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Ok I'm a cheap ass I said it. I have seen guys pulling their engines out of the frame with a hoist (Carbon, Peanut). Seemed to work real well. I really don't have much use for a tool like this other than the same purpose, pulling XS motors. Therefore it would be a sort of single purpose tool. I have seen hand winches at Harbor Freight for a fraction of the cost of a regular hoist. Would that serve the purpose about as well? Some I have seen are rated to about a 1000 lbs.
Jefft

Jefft the hoist came from HF it goes on sale for $40 all the time.
I'll also when I get "time" will make you copies of those videos and send them to You.

Wow thanks Carbon. Those are the most informative and helpful series of videos in existance that I know of on this bike. Thank you. Jefft

- - - it would be a sort of single purpose tool. I have seen hand winches at Harbor Freight for a fraction of the cost of a regular hoist. Would that serve the purpose about as well? Some I have seen are rated to about a 1000 lbs. - - -

Hi jefft,
a winch is only half the story, you also need someplace to hang it and then it's fixed in place and won't move whatever is hanging from it except for up and down.
What I did was stand in line waiting for the House of Tools store to open so I could buy a folding garage crane at less than half price.
Like you, I did wonder how much use the thing would see after it did the job I'd bought it for but once you have a thing you will be amazed at how much it comes in handy.
All those lifting jobs that I used to need help with, now the crane does them.
And it don't need to be supplied with beer, neither.

. I have seen guys pulling their engines out of the frame with a hoist (Carbon, Peanut).

Jefft

Not me Jefft :) I did it by hand cos I'm another cheapass :laugh:

I used to lift car engines by hand too when I was younger and dumber.
heres my V12 Datsun 240Z

Attachments

• 240z v12.jpg
    240z v12.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 493
Sorry Peanut that was Carbon I seen remove with hoist. I did watch your video as well. I think the hoist is worth it though as I would have less chance of scratching up the paint and screwing my back up.
jefft

No matter what method you use, you'll want to wrap the lower frame rails with rags or rubber to protect them from scratches. I cut up old inner tubes.

Sorry Peanut that was Carbon I seen remove with hoist. I did watch your video as well. I think the hoist is worth it though as I would have less chance of scratching up the paint and screwing my back up.
jefft

I think the hoist idea is excellent Jefft ...no point in straining yourself.

However my suggestion would be to lay the bike on its side to remove the engine and to put the engine back in the frame . That way you can lower the lightweight frame onto the engine .
5twins idea of wrapping the frame rails is an excellent one . You could also use dense polyurathane pipe lagging :wink2:

Heres a vid of putting an engine into a frame

That right there looks like the way to go if you got a bare frame but sometimes I need to pull one with a lot of the bike still together except for tank.
jefft

unless you have some sort of slide rail for the hoist I can't see how you are going to remove the engine with a hoist?

If the whole bike is going to be on the stand you won't be able to drag that much weight sideways away from the engine I shouldn't have thought.

You can't swing that much weight far enough out from the frame either unless you have someone to help and even then its going to really tough lowering the engine at a steep angle at the side of your bike .

Your best bet is to put the front wheel on a dolly then you can take the weight of the engine on the hoist and push the front of the bike away from the engine with the dolly:thumbsup:

Peanut have you watched Carbon's video of him removing his engine with a hoist? Looked nearly effortless.
jefft

yes .....well carbon has lots of experience :wink2::laugh:

I think he said in the video it was is first attempt at removing one with a hoist.
jefft

Well I'll be darn. The name for that apparatus in the medical field is "Hoyer Lift" but don't ask me where it got the name. It attaches to a sling to move patients in and out of bed. I have seen electric versions of the same thing.
jefft

Last edited:
I have a handcrank hoist that fits in my dually bed like this:

UB-Generator.jpg

Simple contraption, could make one and have it be multi-purpose. Mount it in the truck, or on a rolling frame, like those HF engine stands...

I like this tool. I snagged the pic from the "Home made and Unique tools thread.
You mount it to the engine, hook the hoist to the loop next to the engine. Have the hoist chain angled away from the bike. With the engine mounts out. Push down on the handle, a bit of twist and the engine clears the frame then pull sideways.
I even thought using an adjustable height chair on wheels under the tool will work.
Leo

Attachments

• 003_002.jpg
    003_002.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:
Back