Rear Wheel speedo drive

Jerico

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Has anyone modified their speedo drive to be mounted on the rear axle something like old BSA's were. I would like to minimize the clutter of hoses and cables on my front end. Thanks

I know this is ancient, by why create another thread.

I've been thinking of this very idea, my reason being is I'm tired of waiting for someone with GT550 front 4ls drum who will be happy to send to the UK marking the customs at only $20.

Also they are incredibly expensive compared to a pre-conical Triumph 2ls drum for only a little gain in performance, alas they have the speedo drive.

So as I don't think I'd be able to get the speedo drive working on the Tri 2ls front I was thinking how to get one working on the back wheel.

Use an electronic speedo that uses a magnet on the rim and a sensor. They can be calibrated for any size wheel.

yeah ive been trying to figure out a solution myself, but i have a rear iron head hub with a drum that mounts to one of the sides. if i remember correctly the k models had a rear speedo drive which shared the same rear wheel as the old iron heads. but i cant seem to find anything on it. someone makes one for older soft tail models i havent dug into it at all, but perhaps it can be modified to work. the only other way is what pete said go digital or use a rim that had a rear drive. if you figure something out please keep this updated.

Has anyone modified their speedo drive to be mounted on the rear axle something like old BSA's were. I would like to minimize the clutter of hoses and cables on my front end. Thanks

JP cycles sells a kit for HD can made to fit xs650 it around 80 bucks :shrug:

JP CYCLES

Attachments

• speedo drive.jpg
    speedo drive.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 165
JP CYCLES

yeah thats made for the soft tail. i think its a 3/4 axle? but you could probably make it work. i hear jp product suck though. you can find nos on ebay if you want to go that route...

dirty dog if you know that axle size that would be killer. i was thinking about adapting that to my rear harley iron head drum set up which has a slightly smaller axle than an xs650.

Thanks, only trouble is the ones on ebay you get stuck in certain ratios such as 2:1.

I'm starting to warm to the idea of an electronic/digital speedo, and if I do finally give up on a mechanical option, are there any electronic speedos that are still cheap and do not have the digital screens I don't want to see? All I'm finding are mini speedos with digital screens.

Perhaps something like this, but without the digital screen at the bottom and preferably not a mini?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/00B1A-Progr...Parts_Accessories&hash=item58a30b86d0&vxp=mtr

Looks very cool :D

At the moment dabbling with machining the plate side of the XS650 rear wheel and fitting a speedo in there. Just getting it on paper and working it out, probably months before I try it though.

Looks very cool :D

At the moment dabbling with machining the plate side of the XS650 rear wheel and fitting a speedo in there. Just getting it on paper and working it out, probably months before I try it though.

cool ill be trying a little sooner, follow my build incase i figure something. good luck.

Back