Rear Wheel speedo drive

Just don't run a speedo, tach or front brake. Use a foot clutch and internal throttle. Really cleans up the bars.
Leo

Just don't run a speedo, tach or front brake. Use a foot clutch and internal throttle. Really cleans up the bars.
Leo

Is this a jab at chopper folks? (If yes, I think the ugliest thing about motorcycles in many ways than one are choppers and bobbers).

My reason for wanting to do this is to run anything but an XS650 or GT550 front drum brake which are both overpriced and under performing for their value, when there are so many cheaper Brit drums that work very well lying about. The late Triumph 2ls drums have only marginally less stopping power than a GT550 to put it into perspective something like 10-15% stopping power, i.e. not going to tell the difference on anything but track racing.

So yes I will need tach, speedo, no foot clutch and no internal throttle (whatever that is) :)

hey dirty dog whats the axle size of a 1986-1995 Harley Big Twin. thats the fitment for the rear speedo drive kit. thanks man

Yes it was a bit of a jab, not so much the chopper folk but those who think looks are more important than function.
Out of the box can be very good for some things, like a piece of art, but something that you ride on the street is another.
If your work of art got just you hurt on the street that's one thing, but on the street there are others out there that can get hurt.
Leo

Yes it was a bit of a jab, not so much the chopper folk but those who think looks are more important than function.
Out of the box can be very good for some things, like a piece of art, but something that you ride on the street is another.
If your work of art got just you hurt on the street that's one thing, but on the street there are others out there that can get hurt.
Leo

Well the Triumph 2ls is better than the single XS650 disc and possibly better than the dual setup as well. Other than brake fade its a no brainer and I don't intend to race the bike so that's not going to happen.

And to anyone who thinks a motorcycle is not about good looks I beg to differ, otherwise just ride CB500s..

Well the Triumph 2ls is better than the single XS650 disc and possibly better than the dual setup as well. Other than brake fade its a no brainer and I don't intend to race the bike so that's not going to happen.

And to anyone who thinks a motorcycle is not about good looks I beg to differ, otherwise just ride CB500s..

I don't think Leo Is saying art can't be funtional or vise versa. Just know what you're doing. And I assume it was a general audiance comment and not direct.

Well I didn't take it personally, just that clearly looks are just as important as performance imo.. otherwise we'd all be riding the ugliest but most reliable and safe bikes.

Well I've been looking at it today, I'd like to put a Brit 1:1.25 ratio drive I've always preferred the look of replica smiths clocks.

I've explored two options. First option is to put the speedo on the sprocket side, this is the easiest mod to do, my only concern is the speedo cable will run close to the sprocket, it'll look a little like the following (and the left sprocket carrier):

066011ob_a.jpg

066011ob_c.jpg

The 2nd option is to cut the side of the brake plate and weld the speedo onto or into the side of the brake plate, the end result looking something like this:

681244863_tp.jpg

The only trouble with both these options is Jap speedo drives are usually narrow so by welding the opposing part on to the hub itself to fit a Jap drive you may block the wheel bearing.

This would be the nicest but also the most complicated way around it. I've also been exploring breaking the speedo drive down completely and building an integrated version plate side.

Back