float rod

ratfinkd1

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Pulled the carbs off the 1980 xs650 yesterday and found liquid gasket sealer had been placed inside the boots to the head. Crap had defintely started breaking down and floating in into the chamber. I bought this bike from a guy who runs an automotive shop in Lockhart TX. Hope none of you live there and have had him work on your car.

Anyways broke the carbs open to find black crap in the carbs? The dirt and dust arond here is nowhere near black. Any ideas as to what that could have been?

Pulling the floats out on one side is easy the rod just pulls out like anyother carb ive been in.The other wouldn't come out. I didnt want to put any real ressure on it and damage it. Any suggestions some lube?. Push with pick through other end? No real varnish like build up the bottom of the bowels had a little but broke up pretty quickly.
P.O. ARE SOMETIMES P.O.S'S.

An easy way to get the pins out is with sharp diagonal cutters...now wait....Put the cutter under the head and squeeze gently until the blades are firmly under then move the handle down to lever the pin up. On reassembly it doesn't have to go back real tight since the bowl blocks it from coming out. The black stuff might be oil from the breather.

This is the tool:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3932529#

I remove the float pivot pins by gently driving them out using a 1/16" pin punch .....

PinPunch.jpg

The BS34 pivot pins have a head on one side like a nail so can only be driven out towards that. The diameter of the pin is also larger for about the 1st 1/8" under that head so they are a wedge fit into the post. They usually won't just pull out by hand until you get that wider section out of the post. As mentioned, the head side doesn't need to be driven all the way in .....

FloatPinHead.jpg

Just go far enough so the other end of the pin is about flush with the outside of it's post .....

FloatPin.jpg

I made this

float%20pin%20tool.JPG

which helps but it's still not my final answer to this. What ever you do support the post so it doesn't break. Lotta guys found that out the hard way.

You thought your carbs were bad?
On a different set a guy used aircraft gasket sealer of the float bowl gaskets, then rode it and rode it, the gas would dissolve the gasket sealer then it stuck on everything in the carbs. Spent about 3 hours cleaning those to get it all off.

Why the lever trick is great: 1. No need to support the post. 2. It's not insane like ^
:)

I use a spring loaded center punch, saves the three handed juggle of center punch, hammer, carb and do be careful it's to easy to break those carb posts

Attachments

• image_1475.jpg
    image_1475.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 98
the rod I couldn't get out was bent. But that wasn't the only problem the pilot jet heads were completly stripped off the plugs were melted and something else I forget. Got a whole set of bs34 for 75 super clean inside and out threww them bike runs and idles fine now and I have a really crappy lookin door stop.

Back