i give up.....giving it back

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
yup.... had enuf.
A friend has a 71 that hadn't even been started since 92(?).
I replaced the coils, wires caps, new battery, rebuilt/cleaned out carbs. 12v at coils.
after alot of kicking, it starts, but quickly floods out. i have the needles at third notch(should be at 4th from top) idle mix 1/2 turn out. bright spark.
Ive gapped the points numerous times, then timed the points numerous times.
while i was timing the points, I notice sometimes no power to points (under 12v sometimes 10.5)
rode it upndown the drive way, seems like alot of fun, but feathering the clutch at high rpms isn't very comfortable.
I'm sure its something with the points/timing. the advance rod is lined up. Ive done everything as best I could.
thank you all for helping me with this bike. if anybody else has a clue, let me know.
I think I'll stick to my '80 with electronic ign. starts faithfully third kick, no choke.
I hate points. especially duals. my fairlane had a dual dist. in it when I got it, after same issues, bought a pertronics, and never looked back. kept the dual point plate, though. numbers matching 67 fairlane 500 hd is worth more than a dependable car any day.
and no, pete's system is out of the question. the owner of this bike is on disability, supertight budget.
this isnt a goodbye to the forum, though. I still have plenty of work to do on my '80.
cheers.
Photo100215011-vi.jpg

angus,
You do know that carb flooding is usually due to a needle and seat problem. Either there is some shit where the needle pinch's off the fuel flow or the float's are set too high. Easy enough fix, r&r the carb's (again! Shit.) remove the float bowl's & inspect. I do believe there is a sticky in the tech section on the best way and proper spec for the carb's your using. And do not forget to put a fuel filter between the petcock and carb's. One from a lawnmower shop should work well enough.

got both set at 25mm. filters on both petcoks. replaced the small o-ring around the emulsion tube. both seats are good. doesnt overflow. did i mention it has early 38's?

Did you say it will only run right at high revs ("feathering the clutch at high revs")? That puts the main jet into the picture. 1/2 out on the pilot doesn't sound like much. If you haven't already, try them out a couple of turns. I don't know much about 38s.

angus67,

Well, if this friend of yours in on disability but can still ride the bike, it must be very frustrating. You have put a lot of effort into it, so I will send you a PAMCO with the Ultimate coil for the cost of shipping ($6). Just PM me your address.

Happy New Year

i love my points...easy to set and work with. Fuck i would buy that thing, rewire it and change the carbs to a known good set and run the beans off of it.:D

New condensers and a straight +12v to the coils should rule spark out.

Wow now that is Awsome.

angus67,

Well, if this friend of yours in on disability but can still ride the bike, it must be very frustrating. You have put a lot of effort into it, so I will send you a PAMCO with the Ultimate coil for the cost of shipping ($6). Just PM me your address.

Happy New Year

It's amazing; just when you're completely convinced that the world is full of nothing but selfish, entitled, self-absorbed pricks, someone has to go and screw it all up...

...and it's kind of frikkin awesome.

angus67,

Happy New Year

Truly a stand up gentleman.
The man is a genius and is so willing to work with others. And on top of that to get a nice word from Teebs. 2011 is gonna rock.
:bike::bow::bow::rock::rock:

are you serious???? your willing to give up one of your systems to this cause?? that would be fantastic!!! you will be forever our hero!. I will do whatever it takes to get this thing running for him. he has severe diabetes, hasnt worked in years, in/ out of hospital once a week. He has even willed me all his bike stuff.
Im positive its the ign system. my adress is
chris nelson
shelton, washington

I dont know how to get the shipping to you, but just let me know, and I'll do it.
I have paypal, or can send a check/ money order. . i cant believe this kinda thing happens!
you, sir, are an angel

Last edited:
i have 12 to the coils, battery full.
I basically fix his bikes for free, I just chalk it up to learning experience. just last week, he gave me a full set of golf clubs he reshafted/ gripped himself. I had expected nothing. The bag and set worth maybe 300 bucks. gave it to my dad so we would have something to do this summer.
I guese what comes around, goes around?

Truly a stand up gentleman.
The man is a genius and is so willing to work with others. And on top of that to get a nice word from Teebs. 2011 is gonna rock.
:bike::bow::bow::rock::rock:

lol I always give credit and respect where it is due. It isn't my fault the list of worthy individuals thus met only has 17 names on it... none of which start with the letters xj. Imagine that.

Oh... uh.... xjwmx, didn't notice you were here... **awkward**...

Well I did just have my chakras realigned... or maybe it was all the cheap New Years bar sex...

Pete... stand up guy. Clean looking bike, it would be nice to see a uncut 650 rolling around this neck of the woods

Back