Upside down gauges

fancyketchup

Condiment Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want this guys gauges
I was thinking you could just make new overlays and remove the needle and replace it in the upward position, but Im not sure if that would work because of gravity? Maybe someone with knowledge on how the gauges work will chime in, thanks!

Yup, it looks like this guy just mounted them upside down. That would personally drive me nuts :D.

I'm pretty sure that all you have to do if you want to do it the right way is make overlays. I changed the gauges on my CB550 to white face last year. The needles are just press fitted onto the gauge peg, so you can actually mount them in any position you would like. I wouldn't rule out that gravity would affect them in some way before they begin to climb, but these needles are so light that the affect would be absolutely negligible. I say ... go for it!

I haven't taken apart a set of XS gauges, but CB ones are a bugger to uncrimp the ring that joins the top and bottom (unless you cut it with a Dremmel and then rejoin)...

There are tutorials out there for the CB gauge dissasemly that will help.

Xs gauges are also a pain. I've had more than my fair share apart. They do make gauges for the xs that have inversed readouts. I saw one on youtube a while back and i doubt i'd be able to find it. They are out there, though.

Is it possible to get new rings and glass for my current gauges? I busted on last year trying to take it apart with the idea that I would scan it and create my own template.

^I don't think so. For glass I would use picture framing plastic rounded with a jig saw or belt sander. Pamcopete made a ring using large dia heat shrink tubing. Search.

Back