Pick up coil location

xs650newb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello all,

I ripped out my old wiring harness to install the TC Bros wiring harness on my 1981 XS650 Special.

I need to connect the pickup coil and I am not sure where it is located. Can someone tell me where it is located AND what is its function?

Thanks,
Adam

It's the black oval thing on the alterntor stator about 1:30 postition. Wires follow the path of the stator white wires. They have their own connector(3 wires if I recall).

Azman is right on the location and number of wires in the plug. Often the wires from the pick ups don't match the colors on the diagrams. If you look at the plug on the stock harness the pick ups plug into, it has the right colors, Just use the harness plug to hook the wires to the TCI box.
The stock TCI uses signals sent by the pick ups as the magnet in the rotor passes the pick ups. The signals are for crank position, so it nows when to fire the plugs, and engine rpm, to tell when to advance the timing.
If you look at most any of the simpified wiring diagrams, they show which wires hook where on the TCI box.
Leo

These might help.

pickup wires (418x575).jpg

xsparts 003 (2).JPG

Careful which screws go where on the face of the stator, there are short and long screws, put a long screw in the wrong place and it will score a ring on the rotor. 81 pickups have "no remove head" screws but you can dremel a slot, remove and replace with real screws.

Back