Resurfacing your old brake Discs

I can attest to using Pirateship. My wife was complaining about shipping costs and I told her about it because she ships lots of items. It’s super easy, accurate and generally saves about 10-20%.

Is Pirate ship for domestic shipments only, or will they do international (say Canada) as well?
Like Gary says, they've saved me hundreds in shipping also. And yes, they use UPS and USPS... so anywhere in the world. Far as Canada goes, rotors used cost me about $40 3 or 4 yrs ago to ship up to you guys... Just sent one this week with Pitateship and it was about $33. Counting for inflation, that prolly would have been over $50 by now without 'em.

PirateShip has some cool features too... like auto fill on addresses. Type in the street name and it auto fills the rest of the form.
For international shipping (Canada ;) ), it automatically creates a Customs Form and attaches it to the label you print out. I've got it linked to my Paypal account, so it's like 30 seconds to type in a name and a street address, select the cheapest rate, hit select, hit print... and done... just that quick.
Typing this comment takes longer to do.

1711214636261.png

Prolly into Canada only, make a request for them to set up Canada Post for outgoing shipments? Spread the word, if there's enough demand, you never know.
1711214685844.png

PirateShip has some cool features too... like auto fill on addresses. Type in the street name and it auto fills the rest of the form.
For international shipping (Canada ;) ), it automatically creates a Customs Form and attaches it to the label you print out. I've got it linked to my Paypal account, so it's like 30 seconds to type in a name and a street address, select the cheapest rate, hit select, hit print... and done... just that quick.
Typing this comment takes longer to do.

View attachment 270514
This is odd. I contacted them and they told me domestic (US) shipments only 🤔

This is odd. I contacted them and they told me domestic (US) shipments only 🤔

They ship into Canada, I’ve used it. But be aware that you will be hit with some extra (sometimes quite expensive) fees at customs.

At least the few times I’ve used it, that was the case on the other end.

One good thing about USPS from the US, is I rarely am charged local taxes or duties and I can’t remember ever having paid any other fees. Couriers on the other hand can be brutal with the fees they charge (brokerage / customs clearance). It wouldn’t be so bad if they advised in advance, what they would charge, but often times you get a huge surprise. I’ve paid brokerage fees well exceeding the price of the goods.
Next shipment I’ll check out the Pirate

I’m also using Pirate Ship. So far, I’ve only selected UPS. I recently sold a couple of tool boxes on eBay. eBay has discounted shipping. Comparatively, Pirate Ship rates are the same. Two identical packages to two domestic destinations. One cost me more on Pirate Ship, the other was less. A wash.

I’m also using Pirate Ship. So far, I’ve only selected UPS. I recently sold a couple of tool boxes on eBay. eBay has discounted shipping. Comparatively, Pirate Ship rates are the same. Two identical packages to two domestic destinations. One cost me more on Pirate Ship, the other was less. A wash.
I found shipping costs on eBay from the US to Canada are usually ridiculously high. That’s the main reason I rarely buy stuff on eBay now.

Dunno when they added this bit of trickery at Pirate Ship... just noticed 'em not long ago, but there's buttons on the right side now where you sort by Best or cheapest. Guess which one is default?
Make sure you select the "Cheapest" option.... it can make a difference.

1711465654643.png

Last edited:
Dunno when they added this bit of trickery at Pirate Ship... just noticed 'em not long ago, but there's buttons on the right side now where you sort by Best or cheapest. Guess which one is default?
Make sure you select the "Cheapest" option.... it can make a difference.

View attachment 274028
I was aware of that. However, when making an eBay sale means if UPS is promised, UPS will be delivered. I’m usually willing to pay a little more for better reliability. I’ve had a few negative USPS experiences and since moving out here it seems to have become worse. In five years, I’ve had one UPS package go missing. Eventually, it was found and delivered. I like accuracy in tracking.

I’ve had a few instances where when I sold something on eBay the shipping was not what I was originally quoted. eBay gets their cut whichever way you ship so I used pirate ship and got a considerably lower cost. Easy enough to add a tracking number to the eBay sale.

Just used Pirate Ship for the first time today. A small flat rate envelope would have cost $9.85
I did have to supply my own padded envelope (well really just reused an old Amazon one) the shipping cost all of $3.86. Printed out the label on Pirate Ship and it comes with a tracking number.

Did take it to the Post Office just to be sure and lady there said I could have just put in the mail box like a letter and if I had something too big for mail box I could go to USPS site and let them know where the package was, like on back step of the house.

I don't ship out a ton of stuff but know I will use Pirate Ship in the future, great price and easy to do.

This is a link to how to schedule a pick-up for an out going package:
https://tools.usps.com/schedule-pickup-steps.htm

Early V-Rods with the Pre-Brembo, Kelsey Hayes brakes, owners complained about a slight scuffing sound from pad drag.
Many guys went to Lydall racing pads and raved about them as performance improvement and less noisy so I bought a set, installed them and within 200 miles my discs had become so hot spotted the front end jumped up n down like a pogo stick.
Pulled the discs off, went over them with my Makita palm DA, went back with new HD pads and had some marginal improvement but ended up replacing the discs. Sanding alone just didn't get it done.
Kept the discs though so this gives me some options to look at

Honda had problems with getting everything just right reinstalling the CB900F front calipers after tire changes, they included a thickness gauge in the tool kit.
if you got it wrong they hot spotted then warped the rotors. I've seen more than one guy look like he was on a pogo stick applying CB900R front brakes....
Saw it and a talked to a guy way out in the desert southwest, he was going to be riding like that more than 500 miles home. yuk.
We put on more than 25,000 miles racing on one with no problems. Shrug.

I drill my own discs, resurface and re-finish them as well. For removing the grooving and smoothing them out, I found some 4" Roloc discs that fit my angle grinder on eBay. On most of the discs I've encountered, the grooving isn't very deep and is mostly just "visual". It doesn't take much to smooth it out ......

View attachment 264496

View attachment 264497

View attachment 264498

This also has the added benefit of deburring the holes I've drilled, saving me quite a bit of work doing that separately. After I've smoothed out all the grooves, I use a Flex-Hone tool to condition them .....

View attachment 264499

View attachment 264500

Once put into service, this texturing doesn't last long. The pads quickly wear it away. But that's fine because it's mostly about having a nice, fresh surface on the disc for the pads to act upon, and this seems to do a good job in that respect. I'll admit that I was a bit leery at first seeing that I was doing this all free hand. I thought I might end up removing more material in spots and that the disc would "pulse" once put back in service. But so far, all I've done have turned out OK. As I mentioned earlier, the grooving isn't usually very deep so I'm hardly removing any material. I've verified this by measuring the disc thickness before and after. It barely changes.

Did this help with the braking? Having a smoother surface vs grooves for the new brake to set in or even shift around on?

Back