11" rear shocks tips question

birdog4549

81 XS-H Special II
Reaction score
If you simply put new 11" rear shocks on your bike and don't do anything else I am thinking the kickstands may need modification/removal. I wouldn't mind taking off the main stand and just keeping it in the garage for maintenance stuff but the side stand looks like maybe it would still be okay. Just looking for some experienced tips on this mod. I don't want to start a series of "dominoes" and not be ready for it.

With rebel shocks on my wifes bike, the sidestand had to be shortened almost 2 inches to keep it stable. Too short would also make it unstable.

With 11" shocks for aesthetics but some sidestand function put the shocks on their longest/stiffest setting.....otherwise always look for ground sloping down from the left. The centerstand is still functional but more of a bear to set. Been running 11"ers for 5 years now, took me 3 years before I stiffened 'em up and now with 4 over forks I use the centerstand solely......or look for ground sloping up on the left side........

Can anyone recommend 11" shocks that are recommended for ~150lb riders? Happy to pay for progressive but they've told me they don't have any for the XS shorter than 13"

Austblue, I run 11.5" Progressives on my SR500. Part #PS1215BG. Mine are black but chrome version is available. I weigh 140lbs and the shocks are plenty good for my semi-aggressive riding style. Got em' from Mark at Thumperstuff. http://www.thumperstuff.com/SRXTTT.html#suspension

Attachments

• Oct 2011 Bikes 025.jpg
    Oct 2011 Bikes 025.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 153
Can anyone recommend 11" shocks that are recommended for ~150lb riders? Happy to pay for progressive but they've told me they don't have any for the XS shorter than 13"

I bought DDIX32-1151 $99.95 from MMM at 650 Central ($99.00/pair). I haven't put them on yet as I was wanting to know regarding the kickstand so I wouldn't have them on and then be surprised and instead of a ride be caught with more work needed B-4 a ride. I imagine I will chop and weld the existing side stand as I would be able to use the center stand if needed while I had the side stand off (with extra "ooomph"!).

They are adjustable for preload and you can call Mike and ask him what he thinks about 150lbs. He is very conscientious.

birddog
I just put a set of short shocks on my 650 and using the side stand is begging for trouble. A little kid could push it over. The frame stand is just extra weight now because even with my enormous right bicep, I can't even come close. I got mine from MikesXS (good fit - good finish - good price) but the lower bushings had no inner steel sleeve; you will have to save the ones from the old shocks. tommyt

With 2" drop in front and 11" shocks in the back I was able to still get it up on the center stand, but it was not something I'd want anyone to see me do. An embarrassing struggle. I have it off the bike, but keep it around in case I want to pop it back on to remove the rear wheel, etc.

Back