1969 XS650 - GSX-R fork conversion time

jun8ior

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post here, and I am looking into upgrading my forks to some GSX-R's.
This has been recommended to me by my mechanic. He hasn't done this himself so I am researching as much as I can so that I don't purchase the wrong gear, and mess up the steering.

Here are two links that have been given to me:
GSX-R FORK ON YAMAHA XS650 FRAME CONVERSION STEM
https://cognitomoto.com/collections...mxnatRyP4BUC61Qz2ln0YM6POAjLNceHfSPEfWcIw2JFw

And this for the right bearings.
https://www.allballsracing.com/fork...QyS2BlbmFm8vaNHAxaE2oa-Oxr4gqloyU4fsdiTOHKOOk

This is what I'm thinking fork wise:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2007-2008-S...-WITH-TRIPLE-TREES-AND-STABILZER/293937938095
I'd look into going with clip-on bars, then new handlebar assemblies down the road.

What I am curious to know is, will changing the fork (depending on which year fork I get) change my rake etc.

If anyone has done this or something similar I'd really appreciate any tips.

Cheers,
M

Attachments

• IMG_20200630_192054.jpg
    IMG_20200630_192054.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 295
  • bxs650.02.jpg
    bxs650.02.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 205
Yes, they are shorter than the stock forks and lower the front end, which changes rake and trail. You'll want rear sets to go with clip ons or it'll be a kind of akward riding position.

Edit* I have zx6 forks on mine, once I adjusted the rear end to give me 25* of rake I had to shorten the kickstand. You can see its sits a little lower than an xs with a 2" drop.
20190727_134156.jpg

Decrease, shorter forks lowers the front which makes the rake steeper. Without lowering the rear some I was at about 24* of rake, compared to the 27* and change I measured stock. So I played with rear suspension to get me to a little over 25* where I felt it would be stable enough.

This build had a 2004 GSXR1000 front end when I bought it. Sits much lower than stock. The 16" rear is taller than the 17" GSXR front. It has the all balls bearings but uses the GSXR stem. Material was removed from the bottom of the steering neck to use the GSXR stem. You will need a shorter kick stand and have to make some steering stops too.
XS`s 033.JPG Finished Project 010.JPG XS`s 032.JPG xs build 003.JPG kick stand 001.JPG

Ok thanks for the info.
I'm thinking that this fork might not be what I'm looking for as the rake difference and overall change to the geometry is just too much.

Does anyone have any other fork suggestions?

Cheers,
M

YZF600R longer, damping rebound preload all externally adjustable
IMHO the right side up look is less jarring with XS650 esthetics.
fit.jpg

Details https://www.xs650.com/threads/ywain.55701/
never mind my build "plans" :rolleyes:
Suzuki SV650 forks another option, the SV forks, brake calipers can be made to work with a spoke wheel the YZF fork, calipers not so much. They do have a shorter stem than the stock forks so that is a sticking point.
tracke front end detail.jpg
ArcticXS is also doing a fork conversion a few others chime in on that thread. .

Last edited:
I sort of cringe when people are planning to mod or cut up an XS1....
Surely, there must be loads of Specials and Heritage versions to modify to your heart's content.
For looks, NOTHING beats a bone stock, green XS1 IMHO. Nothing. Well, maybe a pre-oif T120.....

I sort of cringe when people are planning to mod or cut up an XS1....
Surely, there must be loads of Specials and Heritage versions to modify to your heart's content.
For looks, NOTHING beats a bone stock, green XS1 IMHO. Nothing. Well, maybe a pre-oif T120.....

Sure, if its all original. Leave it alone.
My xs has already had a number of mods, so I may as well improve on it.

I`m certainly no expert on frames but looking at the pics that looks like a 78 or 79 Standard and not a 69? Just judging by the passenger peg mounts, side stand, swingarm mounting plates and upper shock mounts.:umm:

I`m certainly no expert on frames but looking at the pics that looks like a 78 or 79 Standard and not a 69? Just judging by the passenger peg mounts, side stand, swingarm mounting plates and upper shock mounts.:umm:
Shit, you might be right. I think its a 79.

Back