1970 Honda CT70 build for the wife

bcthomas

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I put this together from a $100 titled basket case in our living room. The engine is a 96 z50r that I built to 88cc with a race head and cam. It's street legal and does 45-50mph with my 180lbs on it. She's just learning to ride but it rips with her on it.

34119F4A-4381-4989-A98E-174F38A4B264_zps25hygkdu.jpg

9959E66B-1DCE-4BA7-B267-16860E2A8EB3_zpsvtnoxytf.jpg

I remember them well . When I was a Honda Dealer I sold 100's of them. Those motors were bullet proof. Use to hold shifter down with foot rev motor and do wheelies. Bad for trans but I had plenty of motors. FUN FUN FUN
Really nice job on restore:thumbsup:

Cool! Like TwoManyXS1Bs said, I can't believe how much these things are going for. Can't seem to find one for less than $500. I thought about getting one for my kids (12 and 15). I'm, currently building a cb750 for my wife.

One day, back in the mid `70s, our salesman was strolling down the hall, studying sales reports and such, muttering under his breath. He glanced up at me with a quizzed look, and said "They did it again!"

One of his reports was the state-by-state motorcycle sales volumes for the year, for all makes. Honda had to keep close track of this, as they were edging 49% market share at that time, and to go over that would trigger severe import restrictions and penalties.

Anyway, he said "Guess which state sold the most motorcycles?"

I said "My guess would be California or Texas."

"Nope. Says here that California was second, Texas was third, and Florida was fourth. Guess again."

Well, I was at a loss.

"Michigan!"

"Huh? Wait.....what?"

"Yeah, they're buying boatloads of trailbikes, CT-70's and trail CT-90's!"

Well back then if you remember Honda had a step thru for hunting and sales sucked because guys were buying these to go hunting. Two or three fit in the back of a pickup and away you went. Honda came out with a kit that was really the same as the step thru and had a gun mount and a basket on back. Have to see if I got any info on my old update papers. Honda was great for bring out new bike then to follow was 10 to 20 updates. I think the early CB750 had 25 updates. I had book and books of updates because my partner never got rid of anything.
I sold a original one about 5 yrs ago that was never started sitting in the closed down dealership in the window for $2500.00. Guy left his number 8 times in the mail box and I never looked in there we were CLOSED.

I put this together from a $100 titled basket case in our living room. The engine is a 96 z50r that I built to 88cc with a race head and cam. It's street legal and does 45-50mph with my 180lbs on it. She's just learning to ride but it rips with her on it.
9959E66B-1DCE-4BA7-B267-16860E2A8EB3_zpsvtnoxytf.jpg

Bad BC!
seems you never gave the lady the ATGATT lecture.

I remember them well . When I was a Honda Dealer I sold 100's of them. Those motors were bullet proof. Use to hold shifter down with foot rev motor and do wheelies. Bad for trans but I had plenty of motors. FUN FUN FUN
Really nice job on restore:thumbsup:

Thanks....I grew up doing those wheelies

Cool! Like TwoManyXS1Bs said, I can't believe how much these things are going for. Can't seem to find one for less than $500. I thought about getting one for my kids (12 and 15). I'm, currently building a cb750 for my wife.

I've got a few in the shed for less than that...too bad about the distance.

Back