1971 Build for Dad

Here's the comment from DogBunny. The match appears to be spot on.

"The candy gold pieces that Jim has been posting -- those are mine. I just took delivery of the headlight ears and bucket. The color is an exact match of the repop shocks that I bought. I mean exact -- it couldn't possibly be any closer. The only difference is that it appears that Jim used more coats of clear, so his work is deeper -- more luscious."

DSC00545.JPG

Here.... Auto Paint Hq. The first time I used it I sent 'em an email asking a question. They responded with a name and phone #. The guy spent a half hr on the phone walking me through my questions. I gotta say... customer service don't get much better'n that. Excellent bunch. They'll also mix and match paints and thinners to your needs.
The paint goes on as good as any I've ever used. I know the pic looks too light of a gold, but it's not.... it's dead on.

Untitled.png

Well... unpacked the gas tank today and was greeted with a very unfortunate surprise... A little history first. It is my understanding that Dad had sent a couple of tanks down to Fuel Tank Services in sunny Florida. I am assuming this is the best one, as it is the only one I have. I was (falsely) operating under the assumption that it was in pretty good shape and just had a very robust liner installed. While the liner looks great, the body condition of the tank is pretty rough:

upload_2021-3-19_12-18-55.png

Dad's shop-made shipping crate

upload_2021-3-19_12-19-23.png

Giant globs of metallic sealant...

upload_2021-3-19_12-19-38.png

A dent roughly the size of Tycho crater. I (emotionally) estimate it to be roughly 50 miles in diameter.

I'm not sure that dent was there prior to shipping, no way to really find out now... So, what do you body guys think, is this salvageable? I was ready to do some minor body work, but nothing like this. I am assuming that if the headlight ring for this bike is rare these tanks must be even more so... Any feedback would be really appreciated!

Well... unpacked the gas tank today and was greeted with a very unfortunate surprise... A little history first. It is my understanding that Dad had sent a couple of tanks down to Fuel Tank Services in sunny Florida. I am assuming this is the best one, as it is the only one I have. I was (falsely) operating under the assumption that it was in pretty good shape and just had a very robust liner installed. While the liner looks great, the body condition of the tank is pretty rough:

View attachment 187399
Dad's shop-made shipping crate

View attachment 187400
Giant globs of metallic sealant...

View attachment 187401
A dent roughly the size of Tycho crater. I (emotionally) estimate it to be roughly 50 miles in diameter.

I'm not sure that dent was there prior to shipping, no way to really find out now... So, what do you body guys think, is this salvageable? I was ready to do some minor body work, but nothing like this. I am assuming that if the headlight ring for this bike is rare these tanks must be even more so... Any feedback would be really appreciated!
It looks to me like that hole will suck up a half gallon of plastic, and I can think of no option. As I see it, another tank is the best course of action and I expect you've come to that conclusion already.

Nothing on Ebay. I know a few forum members are hoarding them... :whistle:
Maybe run a wanted ad in the classies?

Thanks all for confirming my suspicions. What a waste... I found an invoice for $500 from Fuel Tank Services in the box..

Well hang on a sec. A vulcanized liner... that means rubber for you unwashed heathens.... :rolleyes:
Second opinion.... I'd try and take the dent out and see where you're at. If that liner's flexible, you might just pull this off.

Untitled.png

Yeah, I just got off the phone with the guy. Says that's how Dad sent it in.. Not totally sure I believe that, but hey... what can you do? He downplayed it. I said it was the size of my fist, a minute later he turned it into a small dent that could just be filled.

I guess I will try and pull it out. Worst case I totally ruin it, which isn't far from where I'm starting. Anyone comes across one in the meantime shoot it my way ;)

Thanks, guys.

I'm with @Jim, at this point you really have nothing to loose. I'd try to get the dent out, or send it to Jim and he I and I can try out my new PDR kit. The lead fill is no big deal, it was a common practice for YEARS. Before plastic filler and bondo there was lead. That lead fill just has not been dressed yet. I personally think that tank is salvageable. A little compressed air, a dent puller, a strap, a heat gun, and little bit of patience I think you will have perfectly good tank. If it doesn't work then you haven't lost anything.

Try one of those glue gun kits to pull it out from the outside. Being rubberized, you most likely won't have much luck with those "from the inside" tools. They'll just sink in or bounce around on the rubber.

The last option is you spend a small fortune for another tank that needs work.
Yeah...

Ok, I think we have a game plan. Going to start with an adhesive puller. It kind of looks like fun anyways. If that fails maybe look at PDR. The coating on the inside is pretty stout, I think it might allow for it. Hopefully body filler can do the rest. Again, thanks for calming me the f@$! down :cool:

Back