1971 front drum...1981 front forks???

SICKLEBOY

Owner and perpetrator
Reaction score
So what I have is a great condition 1971 XS front drum wheel but the forks are from a 1981 ( disc ) ...
My question is this ,
Can anybody help me figure the best and safest way to get that rim spaced and operational in that front end?
I'm gonna assume that I'll need a bracket of some kind to hold that drum in place ?
and
has anybody used this or a similar combination before?...what do I use to take up the extra space on each side of the wheel?
Thanks in Advance...

You can use washers for spacers. Don't use washers with a center hole that's too big. If it's close not too much to worry about, but best is to get a metric drill bit and drill the hole to fit the 17mm axle. Make sure the outside diameter of the washer is large enough to make good contact with the wheel bearing without making contact with the hub and brake plate.

You can use any steel to make the spacers, washers are usually on hand in most garages though.

this is why i offered you my matching forks with the drum. youll need to:

(a) buy a set of drum front forks ( unfortunately i sold mine after you refused )
(b) find a disc to drum brake adapter for your forks
(c) machine a billet tab and tig it to your lower fork legs to "slot" the drum in place

Well I know that NOW lol
See it was an issue of what I could afford ,that being said the issue now is gettin it together ( I'll live and learn )
There is a motorcycle scrap yard here with a half a trailor of front ends ...he may have this fork leg with the tab ,I'll look into that ( but with the different width of front end this leg may not work anyway )
worst case I'll have to get a tab welded on there I guess ...
Thanks for the tips!

Back