1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

1972 Resto/Retro Project

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jones5944, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. cra-z1

cra-z1 XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Idaho
  2. gggGary

gggGary I'm listening, change my mind XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

OK I'm trying really hard to get over my inferiority complex here. Beautiful project. May I ask How long did this all take? Give us the ride report? How does it compare to the back in the day ride "through rose colored glasses".

3. randeman

randeman XS650 Member

Great read. I started with my Red '72 about 18 months ago. Got it off of ebay in Connecticut . A true barn find. I stripped it down to the last piece and had the frame powder coated along with the battery box and air cleaners. Plenty of new and after market parts. New seat and tires. There wasn't a piece on it that wasn't rusted or weather beaten. Had a lot of stuff chrome plated by a shop, here in Houston. They do a lot of work for Jay Leno's shop. Have had to do some welding and machining but have the frame together with the shocks and tires back on it. Working on the engine right now and having a rough go of it. Finding out that you better pay attention to what you are buying for the '72. It seems that a whole bunch of stuff changed in '74.

Any comments or questions, let me know.

4. Yup. 74+ kind of is the standardization year where it all can interchange.

5. That is a beautiful restoration job. The quality of work is amazing. You should be well proud of your achievement. :thumbsup:

6. figure8

figure8 XS650 Guru

Geez, that's amazing..

7. 660smc

660smc XS650 Member

jones5944
    You did a great job, very nice bike

Greetings from the Switzerland

8. 660smc

660smc XS650 Member

My 72 XS

Attached Files:

9. cra-z1

cra-z1 XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Idaho
    660 I do like that color combo.

10. jones5944

jones5944 XS650 Enthusiast

Thank you all for the great compliments and information.

I started this build in July 2014 and finished it in March 2015.

I put 3000 miles on it during the summer of 2015 without any problems. Did a couple of 500 mile round trips and a 1500 mile St Louis to Atlanta round trip. The bike never skipped a beat.

It brought back great memories and I am very happy with the way it turned out.

I sent the bike to a new home in October.

Now I have a 77 on the table and I am in search of a 70.

Thanks again and I look forward to showing you some future projects. Stay in touch!

gggGary likes this.
  11. jones5944

660:
    Great color combo. Great looking bike! Reminds me of the European release paint scheme.

12. GeorgeOC

GeorgeOC XS650 Junkie

Great thread Jones, subscribed. I am undertaking a very similar level of resto with a 76'. Might I ask what you used for the chemical stripping of the old paint? Thanks again!

13. jones5944

I used Aviation Stripper. Available at the paint supplier. I used it because it wont harm aluminum when you remove clear coat.

gggGary likes this.
  14. GeorgeOC

GeorgeOC XS650 Junkie

Thank you Jones, much appreciated!

15. Doug79

Doug79 XS650 Addict

Wow that is really a great job on the foam. you may be missing a pretty good side business opportunity since you already have the molds and expertise, to make and sell the seat pads. I know I would definitely be interested.

gggGary likes this.
  16. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

David,
    Have you considered another project? It would be great to see, posts in real time, as you go, you do such great work.

gggGary likes this.
  17. jones5944

Hello Bob!!!!!!!!!!! I was on the other day and looking for you but it kept returning a message that there was no one by your name and I was getting worried that something had happened.

Yes, I am getting ready to start a new Yamaha 650 project that I just picked up. I found a 72 that is probably the most original that I have ever seen. Probably 99.9% The problem is that it sat in a Minnesota dairy barn for nearly 30 years uncovered so, it is going to be one of those real challenging resto's that I think will be fun and probably cost me way more money than what its worth . I have a project on my table now that I need to finish for a gentleman in Ohio and then I will begin posting pics here in the near future.

My brother gave me a XS 650 calendar for a Christmas present and I was really happy to see you 650 on the cover. I told him the story of how we got together regarding the seat and it was pretty cool.

Again, so glad to see that your still around. I look forward to continuing our chatting in the near future.

David

yamahama, gggGary, GLJ and 1 other person like this.
  18. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Hey! Thanks David.
    I’m so happy to hear you haven’t “ hung up your spurs” , so to speak. :) I’m very much looking forward to seeing what you do with your new XS2!

I know the feeling buddy! :laugh2: I hope to see you around the forum very soon.
    Take care , Bob

Team Junk, gggGary, GLJ and 1 other person like this.