1975 Centerstand?

smiles79

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello all,

Did the '75 originally come with a centerstand? I don't seem to have one, but the PO probably removed it. Where/how are they installed? I may be interested in installing one on my bike.

Thanks,
Smiles

Yes, all 650s came with a centerstand. There should be mounts on the bottom rear of the two frame rails.

CenterstandGreaseNipples.jpg

- - - Did the '75 originally come with a centerstand? I don't seem to have one, but the PO probably removed it. Where/how are they installed? I may be interested in installing one on my bike. - - -

Hi smiles,
you can see how the centerstand fits from 5twin's photo.
If the PO ain't cut the mounts off, installing a replacement is easy but there's a trick to it.
The return spring is the strongest one I've ever fought with.
Put the spring on first.
Then pull the stand sufficiently in line to shove a tapered alignment pin into one set of bolt holes.
Now you can reef the stand fully into place and install the other side's shoulder bolt.
Then remove the alignment pin and install the second shoulder bolt.
Any year centerstand will fit but every year they made the kickdown arm's attachment stronger and stronger.
Best you get the latest year stand you can find or be prepared to get the kickdown arm rewelded with extra gussets.

Spacing on the centerstand mounts did change. Early frames were different (narrower). You'll want a '74 or newer stand. And as Fred mentioned, the newer the better. Yamaha beefed up the tang and eventually added a brace to it for the last couple years. If you're going to be shopping eBay for one, that's what I'd look for .....

82_Stand3.jpg

On the earlier version with no brace, this is what happens eventually .....

BrokenTang.jpg

The repair is simple enough if you have a welder .....

StandRepaired2.jpg

The mounts are quite visible hanging off the lower rear portion of the frame. I took a look at your album pics and I don't see them. I think the idiot P.O. hacked them off.

CenterstandMount.jpg

Looks like it's a no go for the center stand. Any ideas on an efficient way to lift the rear end up? I have a regular floor jack, I would rather not buy a motorcycle specific one. Or if a motorcycle specific one is what I'd need, any recommendations?

Back