1975 handle bar dampner

Mikey

got muscles in his head that ain't never been used
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
My handle bar seems to have some movement in it (maybe an inch of rise when lifting on the handle bar)
I think by installing new handle bar dampners would take most of that out?
they are getting cracked (typical old rubber parts)
Do I need 4 of them?
HOLDER, DAMPER
256-23434-01-00

Attachments

• handle bar dampner.jpg
    handle bar dampner.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 62
yes 4, I often cheat; lube up the old ones with sil-glyde and put a 3/8" fender washer between them, so they squish out when the nut is tightened. :cheers: Putting a washer on either end doesn't work.

The PO put a washer on the top and then used longer bolts on the top of the brackets to push down on those washers
3/8" fender I.D. washer for the bolt do go through ?

The PO put a washer on the top and then used longer bolts on the top of the brackets to push down on those washers
If I go with new dampeners would the sil-glyde be needed?

The PO put a washer on the top and then used longer bolts on the top of the brackets to push down on that washer. ????
"longer bolts on the top of the brackets to push down on that washer." ????

lose that top washer .
DSCF9120.JPG

The Virago stems are a little short no room forthe cotter pins, with blue locktite prolly fine. next set installed may get some custom machined "extension nuts".
DSCF9121.JPG

I keep a tube of silglyde and use it on a lot of rubber parts, this would be good spot. My local NAPA guy thinks I'm eating it.
I don't think I want to just use locktite even with cotter pins
The local AutoZone has it here so I'll get some silglyde for the new dampeners
I looked at Babbitts to get new dampeners and they are only $14.35 each but $19.95 to ship to Mn is absolutely nuts
And Partzilla has them for $13.00 but they wont even give an estimate on shipping
I guess it off to Ebay / the search is on! Thanks A lot Gary !!

My solution was to stick some acetal in the lathe and make two washers 6mm thick. These where placed between each pair of rubber dampers and the system tightened up. Seemed to work well. Previously I used plastic from an old chopping board.

I wonder if new dampers will reduce the vibration in the mirrors????

You don't want repop rubber products, they're junk. Now, I've never tried those but I can tell you from experience that their repop footpeg rubbers, side cover rubber tab covers, and gaiters are crap with a capital "C", lol.

Back