handlebar holder damper

I tried looking up the part numbers for the rubber handlebar dampers for my ‘76. For some reason, the ‘76 parts listing on Partzilla is missing many categories of parts. So I searched for 75 &’77 part numbers and they are different. Anyone know if my ‘76 would use ‘75 or ‘77 damper rubbers? Thx.
Here's a much better on-line parts manual than Partzilla:
http://www.biker.net/650parts_index.html

Oddly and coincidentally, the 74-76 steering drawing from the link I just gave is a little messed up. In any case, the dampers from 1974 thru 1983 are all interchangeable. The very earliest of those dampers had ribbed sides, that were later changed to smooth sides, but they all interchange.

1974 thru 1983 are all interchangeable
Good to know!
20210412_173501.jpg

Just shared this yesterday, the later Special bar riser clamps are slightly taller than the Standard ones. They have a profiled wider clamp as well.

Great thanks, I’ll save that link. Once tightened down, should you be able to feel any movement in the bars at all if you put pressure on either side while stationary? I still get vibration through the bars and wonder if these rubber bits may have gone hard?

8E3D5463-CC2E-497C-BC0D-27C1C79CA2F2.png
Just had a look and the parts listing seem to be missing some info. For example, I looked at “steering” for my ‘76 and the exploded diagram showed all the pieces but to the right, not all the numbers / part numbers / descriptions were listed. Could this be because I’m looking at it from my iPad? Looked at several other parts too, same thing.

Once tightened down, should you be able to feel any movement in the bars at all if you put pressure on either side while stationary
Ya, completely original and old mounts feel pretty sloppy. Felt that on a stone stock 79 Standard.
You can definitely improve the mounts to feel solid. What about the levers? Are those solid feeling ?
I actually wrapped the pivot shank with thin strips of greased brass sheet.
No vibes there..

That link is TWO PAGES long. Your picture is page 1, parts 1-13. Page two is 14-26. You should be able to scroll down from page 1 and find page 2.

They are dampers, and are as such are designed to move a little, but should not be sloppy. The fix, if they are sloppy, is to place a big appropriate-sized washer BETWEEN the dampers, not on the top or bottom. Credit to gggGary for that.

The fix, if they are sloppy, is to place a big appropriate-sized washer BETWEEN the dampers, not on the top or bottom
Often there is no "dead right" answer. As seen in my fix, I believe the cupped washer on the bottom does most of the magic.
I also put the spacer washer up top under the "Special" riser as I was looking to gain height there. It works, trust it.

That link is TWO PAGES long. Your picture is page 1, parts 1-13. Page two is 14-26. You should be able to scroll down from page 1 and find page 2.

They are dampers, and are as such are designed to move a little, but should not be sloppy. The fix, if they are sloppy, is to place a big appropriate-sized washer BETWEEN the dampers, not on the top or bottom. Credit to gggGary for that.
Thanks, now I feel dumb, but to my defence, I just went back and checked and my iPad won’t let me scroll to a second page. Lol.

Often there is no "dead right" answer. As seen in my fix, I believe the cupped washer on the bottom does most of the magic.
I also put the spacer washer up top under the "Special" riser as I was looking to gain height there. It works, trust it.
Gonna do a wiggle test this afternoon.
Checked it out, bars are tight with no movement. Rubber still seems pliable - they most likely were changed by the po.

Last edited:
Back