1976 XS650C Restore

The fork lowers. Before and after.
They had scratches from old inspection stickers and it looked like someone hit them with 100 grit sand paper long ago.
They could look better if I spent more some time but meh, I've reached my polishing limit.

Attachments

• xs650c_fork_lowers_29.jpg
    xs650c_fork_lowers_29.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 245
  • xs650c_fork_lowers_28.jpg
    xs650c_fork_lowers_28.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 252
G'day Cycleranger,

What is with the extra grease nipple on the swing arm???

My 76C does not have this mod only the one at the end of the shaft.

5twins is full of pathological advice. If you can't make a copper washer work with a drain plug you should have your motorcycle taken away and burned before your eyes. Do you think the xs650 drain plug is somehow different? Do you think the xs650 drain plug is just oh oh so special? Get a damn clue. Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ learn to spell. Are you this ignorant?

Fist 2 poss in 14 moths and this is what you cum up with...............

For what it'sworth I think mikesXS uses aircraft exhaust crush washers they are hollow copper wrapped around probably asbestos. They work fine, I buy 10 or 20 at a time from wicks aircraft supply. Have reused them several times with no problems. I anneal and reuse stockers also if they haven't been mashed to crap. But next on my list is the copper ones on fleabay. It's not rocket science they all werk.

Yes it's easy to get sucked way to deep into polishing I have 4 or 5 buffers and the 3 phase 1 1/2 HP Baldor driven by a VSD will be powered up soon. Finally some SERIOUS muscle. Can't wait to see how far THAT machine can throw a tappet cover.... I'll be resurrecting the buffing thread one of these days.

BTW those lowers look awesome!
I try to keep in mind that it's not a once and done deal. How much time am I willing to put into cleaning, cleaning and recleaning a bike that gets RIDDEN in rain and bugs? Quite a lot it turns out, but still unless it's a show bike get'r done and RIDE it.

Yes it's easy to get sucked way to deep into polishing I have 4 or 5 buffers and the 3 phase 1 1/2 HP Baldor driven by a VSD will be powered up soon. Finally some SERIOUS muscle. Can't wait to see how far THAT machine can throw a tappet cover.... I'll be resurrecting the buffing thread one of these days.

BTW those lowers look awesome!
I try to keep in mind that it's not a once and done deal. How much time am I willing to put into cleaning, cleaning and recleaning a bike that gets RIDDEN in rain and bugs? Quite a lot it turns out, but still unless it's a show bike get'r done and RIDE it.

Yeah I imagine the damage I could do with a real buffing setup.
My Grandfather had a huge 3-phase setup that I swear could melt steel if you weren't careful.
You're right about the riding. The first six months or so after my CB750 was finished I spent a lot of time keeping it clean. Now I just ride it. :)

G'day Cycleranger,

I added that grease zerk to improve greasing the swing arm. The stock zerks on the end of the bolt don't really do a good job at getting grease into the whole swing arm.
It's a pretty common mod for old bikes.

And xjwmx I would really appreciate it if you wouldn't shit post in my build thread. Thx.

G'day Cycleranger,

Hi geedubya,
most likely he did it for the same reason I did mine. If you consider the shaft to sleeve annulus and two sets of cross-drilled holes the grease has to go through to get from the end of the shaft to the bearing shaft/swingarm bushing interface you'll go fit one to your swingarm too, eh?

Thanx Bois, (that woz 4 wjwmx -jerk)

Will be my next job, never thought of it or seen it before.
My original bushes and shaft look like they are forty years old so, needle rollers me thinks.

Thanx Bois,
Will be my next job, never thought of it or seen it before.
My original bushes and shaft look like they are forty years old so, needle rollers me thinks.

I went with bronze bushes. They'll probably outlast me.
There's a thread somewhere here from 5twins I think about drilling and tapping the swingarm for a zerk.

The lack of movement in a swing arm means the needle bearings don't get to do a full revolution so they wear a flat spot. need to remove every year, (depends on how much you ride i guess), and turn them.

Lack of maintenance is the main cause of the bushes wearing out, know a guy who regularly greases his and still uses the original neoprene type.

The center grease fitting works better for the bronze bushings. They are designed to receive their grease supply from the rear. The stock plastic bushings were designed to receive their grease supply from the side. The stock grease fittings feed it in that way so work OK with the stock bushings. Even if you put the bronze bushings in and add the additional grease fitting, you should still pump some in the old fittings occasionally. They fill the area between the bolt and pivot tube and that can keep those two parts from seizing together. I'm sure you've seen some of those difficult to remove swingarm pivot bolt threads around here.

- - - My original bushes and shaft look like they are forty years old so, needle rollers me thinks.

Hi geedubya,
I'd say refit with bronze bushings rather than needle rollers.
In the specific case of low speed, high load, partial rotation bearings like on a swingarm plain bearings work better than bearings with rolling elements.
And as my replacement swingarm throughbolt was salvaged off a Suzuki it don't grease nipples in it so I pump grease into my swingarm's centre grease nipple until it oozes out from behind the bushings outer end seals.

Thanks guys,
Looks like you all seem to know what the go is so, I will save some money, insert the nipple into the swing-arm and use the bronze bushes.

Man this forum is the ducks nuts for insight and information. More power to you all:bike::bike::bike:

I've ordered several things from that seller as well. He has some nice 650 stuff. His gasket sets and cam chains are reasonably priced and he will combine & discount shipping as well.

Back