1976 XS650C Restore

Unfortunately, those parts are N.L.A. My advice would be to wire wheel them as clean as you can get them then coat them with some oil or grease after install. They're covered anyway so you won't see them. Finding them rusty is common. I guess good fork seals don't let any oil out to keep them protected, and any water that gets in past the dust cover just sits there. I always keep that area "lubed" (wet with oil). An occasional wipe around with a Q-tip dipped in oil does the trick. However, what I think I'm going to switch to now since I have it is red rubber grease. I love that stuff.

do you still need a battery box and harness? If so, holler!

Thx, I'm good on the battery box, haven't gotten back to the harness yet.
---------------------

5twins, thx!

Dogbunny was able to fix me up with some replacements. Thx again!

I'm going to do some measuring, there has got to be other rings and clips from other bikes that will fit.

After I visited Dogbunny I picked up the frame from the powdercoaters.
Looks pretty nice!

Frame powdered, bushes bronzed, bearings tapered.
Horrible crunchy original wheel bearings punched...
Moving right along!

Attachments

• xs650c_build_10.jpg
    xs650c_build_10.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 271
  • xs650c_build_11.jpg
    xs650c_build_11.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 273
  • xs650c_build_12.jpg
    xs650c_build_12.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 257
  • xs650c_build_13.jpg
    xs650c_build_13.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 264
Frame powdered, bushes bronzed, bearings tapered.
Horrible crunchy original wheel bearings punched...
Moving right along!

Hello cycleranger, I am restoring the exact same model. Great finding this thread... I am tacking the chassis at this stage too. Where did you end up sourcing the tapered headset from? When installing that, do you remove the old race and seal from the lower tree?

Thanks in advance!

Hello cycleranger, I am restoring the exact same model. Great finding this thread... I am tacking the chassis at this stage too. Where did you end up sourcing the tapered headset from? When installing that, do you remove the old race and seal from the lower tree?

Thanks in advance!

Howdy! The tapered bearings come from http://www.allballsracing.com/
I got them from an ebay seller to save a couple of bucks.
Yes, the old races are removed from the frame neck and from the tree.
You can do a forum search for detailed installation instructions, it's pretty easy.

Tapered bearing gotchas; be SURE you install the bottom race in the bottom, the top and bottom bearings are similar but different. Read up on making a minor frame mod to remove the race "later", the tapered bearings do not have a wide lip that can be simply tapped with a drift to remove like the stock ball races.

So while I'm waiting for seals and gaskets I spent some time scrubbing my lump.
After about fours hours with a variety of cleaners and brushes it's pretty shiny.
Fortunately it wasn't too filthy to start.

Boy though it takes a couple of days to get that kerosene taste out of my toothbrush....

The tappet covers and rusty nuts will be addressed.
As soon as I get new gaskets it'll be time for paint.
As far as I can tell only the top case was originally painted.

Attachments

• xs650c_build_14.jpg
    xs650c_build_14.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 308
Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

I guess I do have one question. (or two..)
In the photo what is part #1? A gasket?
It was under under the washer against the the top of the fork tube and I don't see it in the fiche.
It looks like it may have been an o-ring at one time.

And what is the size of part #2 the o-ring?

Thx,

Attachments

• xs650c_fork_cap_1.jpg
    xs650c_fork_cap_1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Ok, since I had so much luck with my last question, here's another one. :)

Does anyone have a source for this dust seal for the clutch push screw assembly?
(Other than CMSNL)
PN:214-16347-01-00
Is this a Yamaha-unique part? It doesn't look like a regular lipped oil seal.
Is there a regular oil seal that can substitute?
Thanks,

Attachments

• clutch_push_screw_dust_seal.jpg
    clutch_push_screw_dust_seal.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 253
Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

I guess I do have one question. (or two..)
In the photo what is part #1? A gasket?
It was under under the washer against the the top of the fork tube and I don't see it in the fiche.
It looks like it may have been an o-ring at one time.

And what is the size of part #2 the o-ring?

Thx,

On #1 I'll take a guess that a previous re-assembly got that located in the wrong place, it may have been the rubber found above the ear to keep it snug when the top triple is installed above it. it kind of fits inside a thin aluminum L shaped washer. I just took one apart but didn't record the order.

It's a unique Yamaha part, kinda like a square o-ring with an inner taper.
Here's an installation thread:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29047&highlight=reservoir

2M, thanks! I searched and searched and didn't come across that thread.
I'm still learning the colloquial terminology for some of these Yamaha assemblies.
"push screw, worm gear, clutch worm"
I'm surprised it appears no one is repopping that seal. (except maybe CMSNL apparently)

gggGary, Thanks for your input as well.
I have all the fork parts accounted for so that "gasket" is extra, where ever it's supposed to go.

Perhaps it was undocumented, seems like Yamaha made a lot of changes that didn't make it into the publicly available documentation....
Or it was added for some reason when the forks were serviced.
I am finding some of the parts descriptions in the parts list frustratingly vague or inconsistent.

I think Gary got it - it was placed there by mistake. That top cap gets tightened down hard against the fork tube. The o-ring on it seals it. A rubber washer would do nothing but get smashed. I'll bet it's part #15 in this drawing, just in the wrong place .....

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1976/XS650C/FRONT FORK XS650C/parts.html
Nope, I double-checked and I've got both #15's accounted for.
It's too thin, even smashed, to be that part.
Oh well, I'm not sweating it, I obviously don't need it. :)

You guys have seen many more XS's than I have.

It's just my nature to restore back to factory as close as possible, where practical and affordable.

The forks have been off the bike before, I had fun picking the petrified double-stacked fibre washers out of the bottom of the tubes. No wonder they were leaking...
thx,

Last edited:
So far every gasket I have found on this engine has been glued on both sides with Yamabond but this one was special.
More Yamabond on both surfaces and I swear something like red locktite as well!

Thank god for aircraft stripper, the fumes kept me high enough while I was scraping the gasket off with a razor blade that I forgot to get pissed off! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• xs650c_build_15.jpg
    xs650c_build_15.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 261
You know how it goes, if you can't seal it up, just slap on some more yamabond! It won't really work until you have 1/4" squeezed out on both sides.

I'm just going to take a wild guess that someone didn't want to buy a new gasket kit...

Back