1976 XS650C Restore

Maybe we should start using explosive bolts...

I prefer explosive cap screws. ;)

Hey look! An original sump filter that isn't blown out!
(Well, maybe not original but at least 30+ years old.)
And more gasket to scratch off.... :doh:

Oh, and those "copper" crush gaskets available from a popular vendor - aren't.
More like copper-colored. :rolleyes:

Oh, and many thanks to Retiredgentleman for a tip he posted about installing some oil seals.
I'm certain he saved me from an embarrassing leak later on!

Attachments

• xs650c_sump_filter_16.jpg
    xs650c_sump_filter_16.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 271
  • xs650c_sump_filter_17.jpg
    xs650c_sump_filter_17.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 276
  • xs650c_not_copper_18.jpg
    xs650c_not_copper_18.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 283
So I found some tappet cover o-rings. $5 from Amazon. :)

Then I addressed the breather box and yet again the gasket was glued on and additionally the PO had gotten happy with the JB weld on the outside and the inside!
I have no idea why they felt it was necessary to glue in the guts but there it was.
(Fun aside, JB Weld smells just like burning hair when you hit it with a torch..)
So it's cleaned up, reassembled, and reinstalled.
Then I painted the engine case. We'll see how good a job I did with that tomorrow. :)

Attachments

• xs650c_tappet_cover_o-ring_19.jpg
    xs650c_tappet_cover_o-ring_19.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 259
  • xs650c_breather_box_20.jpg
    xs650c_breather_box_20.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 266
  • xs650c_breather_box_21.jpg
    xs650c_breather_box_21.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 257
  • xs650c_breather_box_22.jpg
    xs650c_breather_box_22.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 261
Ok, so I got the starter cleaned up, pretty easy. Actually, I gotten a lot of stuff done, just no new pix.
I had a new vin sticker made up. I have a buddy who owns a sign shop.
It's printed on reflective material, like the original but the font is a little fatter.
I think it turned out close enough.
And I have plenty more if I need them! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• xs650_vin_sticker_3.jpg
    xs650_vin_sticker_3.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 263
  • xs650_vin_sticker_2.jpg
    xs650_vin_sticker_2.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 277
  • xs650_vin_sticker_1.jpg
    xs650_vin_sticker_1.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 279
  • xs650_starter_23.jpg
    xs650_starter_23.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 267
I prefer explosive cap screws. ;)

Hey look! An original sump filter that isn't blown out!
(Well, maybe not original but at least 30+ years old.)
And more gasket to scratch off.... :doh:

Oh, and those "copper" crush gaskets available from a popular vendor - aren't.
More like copper-colored. :rolleyes:

Oh, and many thanks to Retiredgentleman for a tip he posted about installing some oil seals.
I'm certain he saved me from an embarrassing leak later on!

I tried copper gaskets once for the drain plugs, but they leaked. For about 7 or 8 years now, I have been using the phenolic drain plug gaskets that come in the Athena gasket sets. They are absolutely amazing. I torque the drain plugs at 40 ft-lbs and those gaskets have never leaked. I just keep re-using the same gaskets year after year. They don't deform so you can keep re-using them. I believe it was 5twins that mentioned I should try them originally.

I tried copper gaskets once for the drain plugs, but they leaked. For about 7 or 8 years now, I have been using the phenolic drain plug gaskets that come in the Athena gasket sets. They are absolutely amazing. I torque the drain plugs at 40 ft-lbs and those gaskets have never leaked. I just keep re-using the same gaskets year after year. They don't deform so you can keep re-using them. I believe it was 5twins that mentioned I should try them originally.

Another good tip! I'm using an Athena gasket kit now. I'll look for those. Thx!

Yes, those red fiber drain plug washers in the Athena kit are wonderful. Many see them in there and don't even know what they are. I have several sump plate/filter assemblies I swap between at oil changes so the drain plug washer on those varies, but my rear drain plug has had that fiber washer on it for years. It does sweat slightly after all these years but no drips.

Yes, those red fiber drain plug washers in the Athena kit are wonderful. Many see them in there and don't even know what they are. I have several sump plate/filter assemblies I swap between at oil changes so the drain plug washer on those varies, but my rear drain plug has had that fiber washer on it for years. It does sweat slightly after all these years but no drips.

So true 5twins! I did not know what those gaskets were for when I bought the Athena kit. At your suggestion I tried them, and they work perfect.

I thought the same of the Athena gaskets at first. Many seemed a bit over-sized, hanging out from the joints more than originals. I also didn't care for the color that much, lol. But, I've found they do work well. Oil them up good before install and you'll get several removal/installs before they need replacing. This applies mostly to the sump and right side cover gaskets. Those are parts you will be taking off. Right side cover? Yes. Most likely, you will be in there several times, doing clutch work/upgrades or fixing the grinding #4 starter gear. You could nip that stuff in the bud and do it now. New, heavier duty clutch springs are needed in pretty much all these bikes and chances are good the #4 starter gear drag clip needs re-tensioning already.

I've used Vesrah gaskets, which everyone slags, on my Hondas with no issues but I thought I'd try Athena for this XS. The gasket material is ok but I had to trim some overhang.
I don't like the green seams either. I used a black Sharpie around the edges of some of the gaskets before install.
Yeah, I don't use any glue on the side cover gaskets, just a bit of oil.
You're correct about the clutch/starter work but I'm on a bit of budget so I'm putting it off for a bit later.
If it's crap after I get it back together I'll just do it. :)
Thanks for your many threads and great photos btw, very helpful in keeping my questions to a minimum. :thumbsup:

The starter "fix" is free. It just involves squeezing the drag clip tight again. Here's a thread that outlines it but most importantly, gives a testing method using a fishing scale. You can check/test your repair or your original to see if it needs the repair. Like I said, most do ......

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18060

This is something that I guess you could say falls into the "routine maintenance" category if you own a 650. You don't need to do it often, but maybe every 6 to 8 years you will have to go back in there and re-tension the drag clip. Your starter will let you know when it needs it again. The grinding and kick-outs will return on an increasingly regular basis. The starter system on these isn't the greatest. The motor wasn't originally designed with it, it was an add-on several years into the production run. The best thing you can do is keep the bike in a good state of tune so it starts quickly and easily, keeping the stress and work load on the starter to a minimum.

Polishing sucks! :mad:
Some before and after pix.
Almost there on the alternator cover. Still need to clean up the paint on the lettering and give it one final hit with mag polish.
The small cover is wet sanded up 1000 grit.
I'm going to leave it with the brushed look and clear coat it.
After much much sanding and buffing I decided the clutch cover was good enough, it was holding up the rest of the reassembly.
There's a shot of it in process.
Got the engine back in and the tree installed with tapered bearings.
I guess I'd better get going on the wheels. Going to try to polish them up without taking them apart. We'll see how it goes. If they have to come apart they'll get stainless spokes.

Attachments

• xs650c_alt_cover_before_24.jpg
    xs650c_alt_cover_before_24.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 292
  • xs650c_alt_cover_after_25.jpg
    xs650c_alt_cover_after_25.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 284
  • xs650c_clutch_cover_during_26.jpg
    xs650c_clutch_cover_during_26.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 283
  • xs650c_engine_back_in_27.jpg
    xs650c_engine_back_in_27.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 281
Ha, Ha , yea the polishing does suck and the worst is after doing the first piece, hard to know when to stop and if you make it a mirror finish, you realize just how much effort it took, then it hits you..........only another engine case, 4 tappet covers and fork lowers and alloy rims...............Dam why did i make that first piece so shinny:doh:

Looks nice, now buy all the polishing gear and buffer to save time but not money

Without the polishing gear and the buffer everything would just get painted black. ;)
I've already spent a lot of time on the fork lowers and they still look like crap.
The castings were pretty rough and and 40 years of weather only made it worse.

That brushed look you got going there looks great, very presentable, clean...
Thanks. It'll look better once I clean up the paint and finger prints.
I as going stop at 800 grit for more contrast and I had it done but it got dinged up on the bench so I hit it again with 800 then 1000.
I was going to do the oil filter cover the same way but blew it off and polished it.
I'm going to clear coat it. Hopefully it'll look ok with the clear.

Attachments

• xs650c_alt_cover_satin_26.jpg
    xs650c_alt_cover_satin_26.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 252
Great progress! I am about to mount my motor back in the frame as well, on my own 76' project. This is great!

5twins is full of pathological advice. If you can't make a copper washer work with a drain plug you should have your motorcycle taken away and burned before your eyes. Do you think the xs650 drain plug is somehow different? Do you think the xs650 drain plug is just oh oh so special? Get a damn clue. Jesus Christ.

Back