1977 xs 650 help!

Zeus87

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a 77' XS 650 for the right price of free. It ran last in 1991 (original owner WOW) it was having problems with the stator etc so he let it sit in the barn. Anyway almost 33 years later i found it on the side of the road. NOW for the help..years ago a friend removed the stator ect and since has been misplaced, not a big deal i just picked up two parts engines. Well anyway, the kickstart moves, but it really doesnt feel like a piston is moving more of just a consistant smooth light resistance..Any ideas? What should i do next? Could it be seized? is the kickstarter not engaging? Any idea please help. Thanks a million (p.s im brand new to this)

welcome.if the motor has been sitting along time i would put some wd40 in the cylinder and let it sit awhile maybe theres some rust on the cylinder walls ,just my 2 cents:thumbsup:

You're pulling the clutch lever aren't you? Put the bike in neutral, don’t pull in the clutch lever, and give it a good kick. Let us know what happens.

I would suggest puting the bike in gear and rocking it to see if you can feel the compression in the engine. (Use 4th or 5th) that should help eliminate the kick start assembly. Also pull your spark plugs and put your finger on the plug hole to feel for pressure as you turn the engine over.

If the clutch is adjusted wrong it will feel like no compression also. Mine would do it cold. The clutch was not engaging. I adjusted it at the cable and using the set screw on the left side.

:agree: I agree with XS650RR. If you think something is wrong in the engine, it's a good idea to open it to see what's happening inside, especially if the bike was left on the side of the road.

It's just a suggestion, good luck with your project.

Back