1977 xs650 Advancer Spring Shredded

Runnriot

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I noticed a few metal shaving sticking out from the right side of the motorcycle from the Points cover. I opened them up and found all these shredded circles, see photos. Without knowing at first i figured it was a shredded spring, which it was, both were missing.

Question: What could cause this and how to avoid it? (im assuming they got old and brittle and just shredded.....hopefully thats the case)

Attachments

• 0724201854b.jpg
    0724201854b.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 0724201854a.jpg
    0724201854a.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 69
That's interesting. Many advance springs have some slack in them at rest and at idle. It's possible one end of a spring was loose enough to have slipped off the post or the end broke off one. It could then take the other one out. They sure are chewed up! Any other damage like to the spring post?

Yes, I know they break from time to time, but I've never seen any all broken up like that. Usually, just the end loop breaks off. Maybe the spinning cam caught them and destroyed them like that. Best replacements are originals, if you can find them. They're N.L.A. from Yamaha but do come up on eBay from time to time.

It looks like there was no other damage, i have a spare im going to put on to see if everything is running correctly, hopefully nothing got damaged. I also dont know how long this was like this for. Otherwise i am trying to order some as well as the spare ones arent great.

This will now be on my regular inspections list.

Back