1977 XS650

Tyrus

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Well here she be. I already got into it a bit with some of the small things. First things first, I replaced the tires, then coated the front fender, side covers, and gas tank with Rustoleum Truck Bed Liner. Other than general 20 year maintenance, I put Amsoil in the thing and adjusted the carb needles, blah blah blah. I can't say what all I've done since I can hardly recall it anyway. As of now I am ready to tear off the ol' trombone/oxyfuel cut off mufflers with a set of Thrush 1.750 I/O glasspacks. I'm from a quite engine and or exhaust savvy family as my dad built his own engine dyno and I've helped run it as a middleschooler and up. I won't say I'm an expert by any means. This XS650 I have will be none other but a one of a kind machine. Tracker, cafe racer, etc, these will not be what I'm going for. I will be building a machine that is none but my own personal means of satisfaction. One of a kind! And I'm happy to be one of the family!

IMAG0746.jpg.html

Last edited:
Alright, got this picture business figured out! Here are a few pictures to give you an idea where I'm at with the bike thus far.

IMAG0685.jpg

All original, little over 20k!

IMAG0742.jpg

Night before the new bars.

IMAG0745.jpg

Most recent, left hand side.

IMAG0746.jpg

Right hand side. You may notice the extreme angle it sits at while on the side stand. This is due to the 14.4" extended shocks I got on Mikes. I do like the ride height with them, but the rear tire is no longer off the ground on the center stand.

9a55d909-d4d3-4a94-af2d-8217f7d4c5da.jpg

You may have already noticed the absence of the rear fender. I built a bracket out of 1/8 stainless plate and mounted two 3led lights on it. They will soon be moving to a side by side position right above the license plate. There is some voltage trickle so they're running lights at all times, more or less.

IMAG0747.jpg

New reverse mounted clubman bars. After reading a bit online these are the style I decided I liked.

577186_10201537469380001_1380725875_n.jpg

From the front. Short stalk turn signals from Mikes as well. This bike had a fairing originally, so I had to wire everything up myself.

And that is all for now folks! I haven't mounted the new glasspacks yet, but if any of you have any input or tips on how to mount, they'd be greatly appreciated!

Tyrus

Wow! The maroon tank and side covers! Cool! That tank with that graphic makes it immediately recognizable as the classic '77 among those in the know.
Mebbe someday I'll have a set to swap with my blues.......

Correction, that was a maroon tank and side covers, now it's well, I don't know what it is. If you want to change something, change that stupid seat, lol. You've pretty much ruined one of the most classic 650 models out there so don't stop now - grab the Sawzall.

Yeah, I was mis-stating the obvious.
Heck, I'd trade off for that set if they were salvageable. I've got a set of side covers spray bombed black and a couple of Special tanks that one could paint in house latex all day long if they wanted.......would even pay for the shipping......

I must not have been in the know, so to speak! My bad for "ruining it." I only added the original picture sort of spur of the moment. I shouldn't have, it seems! Now every time I change something the "ruined the classic look" will echo in my mind. Though it will be drowned out by the crackling of the pipes as soon as I start it up, so no matter! also, side covers and tank are not salvageable. I sanded them down before priming and coating. Sorry to kill your hopes!

Tyrus

Well, in any family there are bound to be differences of opinion. Your bike ain't the first nor will it be the last to go through what some consider sacrilege.
Opinions are like feet....mos' everybody has a couple and they usually stink, so take no offense to my prick comments and welcome aboard! At least it's an xs.......

Yeah no worries if it makes you happy, ignore us stock snobs. Keep telling the tale as you go?

Alright, another update! Finished up the exhaust finally! except for the flat black paint coating the exhaust from the headpipe back! Black exhaust wrap off Amazon for about 25 bucks, mufflers 33 bucks apiece! I think I came out on top! I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. The only thing modified on the frame was the rear passenger peg mounting studs getting cut off. I then drilled them out and used the holes to mount the mufflers to. Bolt through the bracket, nut welded to the glasspack. Easy as that!

IMAG0759.jpg

IMAG0758.jpg

IMAG0761.jpg

For the bend, simply took a straight piece of pipe, slit it in 4 places, and bolted up the glasspack. Tacked it while it was on the bike, and then finished it off the bike.

IMAG0757.jpg
\
Better view of the slits. Screwdriver to keep the pipe centered on the headpipe.

IMAG0766.jpg
]
Finished product, saw a little heat.

IMAG0767.jpg

e240621b-84ca-493b-a3c9-b9ed1817cb4b.jpg

Yes, the right side sticks out a tad more than the left. I need to shave a bit off the mounting bolt so it pulls it in a bit more.

6b7b1d43-e81d-4327-b00f-347a5bf3b6bd.jpg

IMAG0762.jpg

Also, credit where credit is due. My father did the tig welding on the pipes. It turned out better than we planned. The sound of those pipes is music to my ears! The old mufflers were basically burned straight through. Hope you folks enjoy the pictures! I'll throw some more up when I get them painted! Happy riding!

Back