1977 yamaha 650 d restoration files

Upper Trip aluminum clamp finishing

• paint stock

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • polish aluminum

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Scrams... I dont know yet, cant remember if there was or not, I seem to recall it bolted directly on... I will most definately know when I get that rear wheel done and both back from the shop... new rim strips, tubes, stems, tires, truing, and balancing... then I mount and we will see about that brake...

which reminds me...
anyone try those rear wheel tensioners from mikes xs?
mine are real bad and i would rather get new ones instead of painting them...
however i seem to recall someone on here saying they weren't any good from there.

Scrams... I dont know yet, cant remember if there was or not, I seem to recall it bolted directly on... I will most definately know when I get that rear wheel done and both back from the shop... new rim strips, tubes, stems, tires, truing, and balancing... then I mount and we will see about that brake...

which reminds me...
anyone try those rear wheel tensioners from mikes xs?
mine are real bad and i would rather get new ones instead of painting them...
however i seem to recall someone on here saying they weren't any good from there.
Unless you can find some clean used ones I think that Mike's is your only option. I never thought the stock ones were that good either , in fact I am in the process of looking for the snail cam type that were used back in the '60s on British trials bikes and are still used on motocross bikes today , if I can't find any that fit an XS I will have to design and build my own. I have a few simple ideas that should work .

Trying to get through cleaning up my rear wheel... holy crap that drum hub is a beast! this has taken all my time until....

tonight i got my hands on a ultrasonic cleaner!
wow!
here is a before and after of my petcock... no polish just cleaning and rubbing down ( full disassemble and rebuild w/ mikes xs kit...) (the kits gasket for the rear bowl may be garbage, its less than a paper thin piece of rubber and the original is quite substantial)
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Also,
I received my new, new, centerstand from mikes.
the first one was such bad quality I couldnt use it. so after a while it is all sorted, ( mikes was great and even checked it before sending the new one, refunded all shipping and was very communicative)
the only issue was it was slightly narrow so, trusty piece of threaded rod, most likely my most useful non tool, tool.
[/IMG]
IMG_0392_zpseb2123f3.jpg

IMG_0393_zps466937a8.jpg
:bike:

Attachments

• IMG_0415_zps6e8a18cb.jpg
    IMG_0415_zps6e8a18cb.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0390_zps1248ed7a.jpg
    IMG_0390_zps1248ed7a.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0406_zps4223208a.jpg
    IMG_0406_zps4223208a.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0408_zpse9b63e97.jpg
    IMG_0408_zpse9b63e97.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0412_zps5802ce6b.jpg
    IMG_0412_zps5802ce6b.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 3
600 is a steal. They are becoming vary hard to find, especially with all original parts. A lot of people replace OEM tanks and fenders etc and destroy the value. Mine is all original, including the tires:thumbsup:

Congrats on your wedding!

Trying to get through cleaning up my rear wheel... holy crap that drum hub is a beast! this has taken all my time until....

tonight i got my hands on a ultrasonic cleaner!
wow!
here is a before and after of my petcock... no polish just cleaning and rubbing down ( full disassemble and rebuild w/ mikes xs kit...) (the kits gasket for the rear bowl may be garbage, its less than a paper thin piece of rubber and the original is quite substantial)
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Also,
I received my new, new, centerstand from mikes.
the first one was such bad quality I couldnt use it. so after a while it is all sorted, ( mikes was great and even checked it before sending the new one, refunded all shipping and was very communicative)
the only issue was it was slightly narrow so, trusty piece of threaded rod, most likely my most useful non tool, tool.
[/IMG]
IMG_0392_zpseb2123f3.jpg

IMG_0393_zps466937a8.jpg
:bike:

damn those petcocks were just cleaned in you ultrasonic cleaner? they look awsome can,t wait to see rear hub assy. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_0390_zps1248ed7a.jpg
    IMG_0390_zps1248ed7a.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0406_zps4223208a.jpg
    IMG_0406_zps4223208a.jpg
  • IMG_0408_zpse9b63e97.jpg
    IMG_0408_zpse9b63e97.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0412_zps5802ce6b.jpg
    IMG_0412_zps5802ce6b.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0415_zps6e8a18cb.jpg
    IMG_0415_zps6e8a18cb.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 3
sorry, meant to write rub down with 0000 wool... but yes the cleaner worked great, 1 part simple green to 6 parts water. ran them for about 15 minutes.
next thing going in there are my carbies!
I was going to just send them to oldskool carbs but I suppose I have gotten this far at my palce i should just keep going. p.s. this is all happening in a 10x10 tent in front of my garage...

ok guys! I finished both petcock's here ya go... now if only my tank were ready....[/IMG]
IMG_0423_zps058655dc.jpg

most likely should have done a tutorial here on rebuilding.
but then again, they are not to hard to figure out, takes about an hour and you are set. figure they must be fuel tight as they are air tight. i submerged each in a bowl of water and blew into a hose attached to the main fuel in and then reserve in and there was no air leaks at all so thats promising after not putting to much stock in those gaskets...

Attachments

• IMG_0427_zps15f43db1.jpg
    IMG_0427_zps15f43db1.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 3
Very impressive job on the petcocks man! Looks like I will have to barrow my buddies cleaner to do mine, I had no idea it worked that well!

So lets see how this ultrakaboom super cleaner handles my float bowls with a 1/4 inch of 30 year old gas sludge in the bottoms... More to come, this weekend might be a carb teardown segment. Havnt seen a really good documented play by play on here for older bs38s

I'm a little ahead of you with the carbs. I re-built mine a couple of months ago and they polished up nice.[/IMG]
I had pin holes in the floats but soldered them closed and filed off the excess. I guess I could have just bought new floats but I'm cheap.
[/IMG]

Attachments

• DSC_0002_zpsfa4bf489.jpg
    DSC_0002_zpsfa4bf489.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_0014_zps7184e891.jpg
    DSC_0014_zps7184e891.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 3
yeah I wish I hadnt waited for the carbs but now I am glad I have this cleaner, I realy have the lebrea pits in the bottom of my right carb bowl...

OK lets start tearing apart these carbs.... rebuild kits ( self assembled parts order! ) will be here Monday.
[/IMG]
IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

I would keep posting pics but long story short, they are nasty... 30 years of gas, the smell oh god!
well this carb ( left ) is stuck, butterfly and floats, and diaphragm all wont move
so here we go...
[/IMG]
out!
IMG_0476.jpg

in the ultra sonic...
cleaned parts!!!
IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

monday comes rebuild time, then on to the other side.
I am keeping one intact incase I get fumbled and can't tell how to do something, I will have the backup to look at:yikes:

Attachments

• IMG_0474.jpg
    IMG_0474.jpg
  • IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 3
Harbor freight has them on sale for 74.99 then 20% off. makes it so you can get the 2 year in store exchange for 9.99 keeping it somewhere around 70 bucks! totally worth it prolly the best thing I ever got from there, my buisiness partner wanted it to replace his for cleaning Dishwasher pumps and he let me try it on my carbs.
I got the 2 year in store exchange plan caus it was from harbor. lol

and putting you to shame steve? no way, just wait till you get your next project going... you are going to go just as nuts as me, I mean, you have what 5 months of winter here to get this thing going so it might as well be perfect? or maybe I am super OCD, which may be the case as I am not super happy with the finish of my carbs. I wish I could make them bling out but then again they are carbs not a Rembrandt...

[/IMG]I cleaned my carbs in pinesol 100%and a toothbrush wonder how that would work in your cleaner

Attachments

• 650carbs.jpg
    650carbs.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 3
Back