1977 yamaha 650 d restoration files

Upper Trip aluminum clamp finishing

• paint stock

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • polish aluminum

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
as promised, some eye candy got picked up today...
IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

I think the k70's are growing on me, My first choice was a set of k761 shinko's but I thought they might be a little to out there

yes ron, I used caliper paint and taped off the whole wheel, then used some of our china ( only circle in the house the right size ) to cut a circle. I wonder... how would my wife feel if she new I did that while she was out walking the dog last night? lol

Hah! that's great...I used our dryer to tumble my tank with a bunch of bolts inside to get the rust out. My wife didn't like that too much. Now I'm gonna have to do that to my disk, that wheel looks nice. Have you painted the lower part of the engine? My motor came with the lower part coated with an aluminum paint. I stripped most of it off but with everything painted and polished so nice, it looks a little worn.

Thanks steve!
Ron, I did not paint it, all of these bikes at least in the 70's had that silver painted lower case... when I did my chemical soak downs any paint there was long gone... then I used various wire wheels and roloc disks, as well as a few nylox brushes on everything, it turned out nice... not perfect but really nice. in fact SSERES had his blasted and when he saw mine i think he really liked the way it turned out so it may be as good as a blasted engine

I am behind where I would like to be but just about done blasting/cleaning all the engine cast parts. I have been waiting on mikesXS to restock their front cam chain guide stopper before I place my parts order... mine was totally wrecked. I will update my thread here soon :)

my HF sonic cleaner arrived today! How are you "blasting"? I ended up ordering the front guide from Yambits in the UK. Shipping and cost made it basically just a little more expensive than Mikes, and at least they had it in stock.

I will have to check out Yambits, thanks for the tip on them! I am glass bead blasting all of the castings, the benefit of the shop I work in is that I can use that kind of stuff for my own projects too. The down side to glass bead blasting is that you have to protect the critical areas where the bearings/shafts sit or ride because it will screw them up. Oh, and you HAVE to get all the glass out before reassembly...

Hey all, Sorry its been crazy at work before the holidays.
So, I have the carbies back together and on, and am working on a carb pic tutorial for the less than mechanically inclined and visual learners out there ( like me ) ...
So after I called SSERES for help and then realized it wasnt gonna happen I walked away from getting the RHC on two days ago... Then after trying about 30 times and almost hitting it with a mallet ( which thank god a cool head prevailed on ) I got it to fit. The spring for the kick starter had slipped and was out about a quarter inch holding the cover off the engine. thank god I didnt try to just crank her down to get it on!
IMG_0616.jpg

Getting the carbs on was a bear as you all know. it was tough even after I realized I was trying to put them on BACKWARDS!?!... and difficult even after I realized the top plate was BACKWARD!?! but in the end after walking away 3 times they went on...
IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

Then I decided tonight to get the wiring worked out and get the front end together... got lost in time and before I knew it she was standing on here own foot for the first time in forever!
short stalk blinker... ( easy to make and look amazing )
IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

looking more like a bike all the time
IMG_0636.jpg

and love the fender and tires and black and shiny and .... lol:D
IMG_0637.jpg

oh almost forgot,,, this is my handy dandy handle bar ground....
did not make sense to me that the whole front end is grounded through bearings and rubber:wtf:
IMG_0615.jpg

drilled and tapped a small hole and ran this through the wiring loom to the common ground I am setting up
IMG_0610.jpg

when the bars rotate to the final position it is hidden under...

Back