1977 yamaha 650 d restoration files

Upper Trip aluminum clamp finishing

• paint stock

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • polish aluminum

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ron the handlebars and everything up front is grounded well, its a bit much i know. However, the handle bar controls i.e. horn and starter button use the handlebars to close the circuit

Hey guys, I have been waiting weeks! for some parts to show up so I can get moving,
this past week I have been sorting out wiring issues and think I am just about through the rats nest!
I got my air boxes on...
IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

and after getting bored waiting for parts I went ahead and got my pamco installed,

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

and then went at the sump, which btw was not torn or ripped in any way. however, figured I better be safe than sorry
IMG_0667.jpg

So I have all sorts of loose ends and things to remember to do to get moving again, however, she is starting to resemble a bike again,

before...
IMG_4432.jpg

and now...
IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

yeah, I guess it has only been three and a half months.... just seems so much longer. I was busting ass for a while there trying to stay ahead of the weather for painting and such, now its slow... I always end up one nut, or bolt, or pin, short...
Right now I have my caliper taken apart and my master cylinder disassembled on my table and am trying to choose between rebuild or replace of the M/C and I have to order some parts for the caliper.

Tonight I got a package from pro caliber oem parts!
it was the pins and cotters for my rear pegs and the pins and plates for my rider pegs...
so the passenger pegs went together super easy, I ended up using oem rubbers for all 4 pegs because I have heard not so great things about mikes xs rubber.
so here are the passenger pegs all done up...
IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

and then I went at the fronts, the rider pegs... wow what an ordeal, these are spring loaded to keep them from folding up, the springs are a bear to get back in because the misaligned holes resulting from the spring tension. then to top it off, when you get the peg in, it needs a washer then a press to rivet it over the washer... so of course i had to do some thinkin... and came up with the idea to drill a small hole in the pin so I could use a cotter for the hold.
at this point someone will say "why didnt he just use a standard autoparts store or hardware store clevis and cotter setup?" I'll tell you why not... I am so anal it hurts!
here they are... new mounting rubber as well,
IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

tomorrow, I should get an order from mikes, lets see if my tach and speedo cables are there.

today was a shit day... I got my package from mikes xs,
new sump gasket,
new gasket for oil cover,
new tach and speedo cables,
and a grab bar for standard models...

so here goes,
went down and put on speedo cable,
then went to tach side, just to find out that my tach drive is busted, the threaded part is broken in half at the base by the o ring.... and of course not available anywhere...
so I decide that i will go on and mount the grab bar,,,
of course when I painted my frame I knew I would be going this so I cant for the life of me understand why I did not cut off the stock grab handle before paint...
so I suck it up and decide to go at it anyway get out the angle grinder and start cutting.... then smoke?!?!?!:wtf:

I must have set the grinder down on the spinning blade in the past because there was exposed wiring... and of course the exposed wiring was laing over the bike and sent 110 v through my wiring harness...

I think it only burned up one neg lead on the rear signals, thank god I put in all my inline fuses yesterday!!!!

it blew the 20a and the rest seems fine, now to go and get all that melted wire shield off my rear fender...

got to love these bikes though i turned acc power on and checked everything with new fuses, 4 of them blown. and the damn signals still work lol

now i need to find a tach housing:wtf::yikes::eek::doh::confused::banghead::(:mad:

Short Update.
This week I have done a few things, I re wired my burnt up wiring, had to wait for a package from the electronics supplier to make sure I kept the factory colored wires. the got to soldering, done.

mounted my rear grab handle after cutting off factory side grab handle and touch up painting the marks. done.

mounted my rear blinkers on new grab handle, which I am sure happy I short stalked them as the mounts for the grab bar are almost as wide as the originals would have been then I would have another 2 inches!

The look good with the seat and I am glad how they turned out, my factory mounts would be better but they are pretty rough and I would have to re chrome them, so all is well, maybe in the future...

then I got my seat finished, I had taken it completely apart to repaint the seat pan, then thoroughly washed the cover and got it all back together nice and tight, so I mocked on my tank side covers and seat,
it looks great,,,Today I got my rear wheel on and set up the rear brakes. * completely rebuilt

that rear brake was a bear, I should have attached the actuator rod when I did the swing arm last month, there is no room in there to get the cotter on, it was a pain...

so lots left to do, but i just ordered my last big order of parts,

still need exhaust and decide weather I am rebuilding or getting a new master cylinder, maybe a poll...yes a poll!

Hey all, sorry it has been so long, life takes over with the holidays.
however, i did manage to sneak in some orders...
I received my new master cylinder tonight!
so now I am off to see if I can retro fit my old pull onto it, otherwise I am going to have to sand and polish the black one it came with.

assembly is almost complete,
I will post some pics soon,
I have her almost all there, just need to start at the front and work my way back making sure I catch everything, then I will order my exhaust...

SO CLOSE!!!!!!

Was wondering what happened to you...I tried to re-build my master cylinder but could not get the clip out of the inside housing. The master cylinder was too far gone so I just bought a new one from Mikes. I have the black handle and think I'm going to paint the clutch side black as well. I bought the commandos and the look great but still need to work on the brackets by the passenger foot pegs. I have the main cabling to route through the frame and buy a battery but it's friggin cold out there.

yeah Ron, its odd that we have about the same bike.
I stripped the black off the handle and polished the aluminum.

there is a thread somewhere of someone building a bracket for that comando, although just by looking at it in my minds eye, i was thinking, what if you cut the header back, moving the mounting bracket forward on the pegs?

Lawrgi, Do you have any close-ups of your wiring? Trying to figure out how this cable goes through the frame and it's ugly. I'm going to make a cardboard template for the Commandos bracket and cut it out of aluminum...i hope.

Back