1977 yamaha 650 d restoration files

Upper Trip aluminum clamp finishing

• paint stock

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • polish aluminum

Votes: 8 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
that bike looks fantastic.! I have just read the entire thread and can hardly believe the difference you've made . thats a lot of hard graft there.

Hoping to start my resto next week once I fix the shed roof leaks lol. You're blog really has inspired me well done ..:thumbsup:

Hadn't been here for a while, looking good!
I used "commandos" on my 79 standard. It was a pain, I had a set of the smaller mouth mufflers and had to use early head pipes to fit them, everything is sitting out a bit too wide to be ideal. I did fab some mounts that are working out pretty good. I'll shoot a detail pic or 3

So hopefully I can wrap this up, I have a lot left to do... I think I will take more pics documenting the end of this process, then I am going to do a "complete" series of pics leading up to the first start.

Gary, I would love those pics, I know ronstern could use them as well,
YEah, sure would. I'm out there dicken around with them right now. The brackets are a jumble of parts that just don't fit unless you're Micky Mouse. Had to remove my air boxes to get the cabling through and tied off. What a pain in the ass.

Here's what I have;

xs001.jpg

xs002.jpg

xs003.jpg

xs004.jpg

No great shakes I guess, the biggie as far as what you guys are doing is I fit a chunk of steel bar INSIDE the channel on the muffler then drill and tap it to accept a bolt, this is much stronger than just a nut or bolt head which will deform and eventually crack the channel welded to the muffler. You will probably have to cut a bolt to the correct length. I think I used passenger pegs from a different year that don't have the muffler bracket welded to them. The header/muffler clamp is from farm and fleet in the ag sprayer parts section, all stainless steel. The early headers have a different bracket location so I bracketed from there to the center stand bolt. It's bit tricky keeping the nut on with the extra thickness of the bracket. Hope that gives you some ideas anyways.
Carry on, great thread.

TRYING TO START HER!!! so far two dead batteries, a few moronic moves and now she is just about there, messed with the timing a bit, and just waiting now, last time I got a hell of a smokey backfire through the carbs! she's almost ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok shooting video on each attempt, i am on number three right now, and she started up for about 1-2 seconds! i think next attempt is the one!

pre it is amazing... I am an ocd math person, so of course I wrote down all the reasons it wouldnt start before I tried, and I'll tell you, there was a much bigger wont start list than the will start list

got her to idle this morning...

so far,
left cylinder does not seem as hot as right...
getting a few burps during idle...
small amount of smoke coming from exhaust gaskets at the head.

i am going out to get some fresher gas and I forgot to put fuel filters on,
I think I will find some tiny inlines and hopefully the newer fuel will clan up that burp in idle

Back