Sold / Found / Inactive - SOLD - 1977 Yamaha XS 650 D Rolling project for building ~ Maine

Price
$ 400.00

radxs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need a project...?

1977 Yamaha XS 650 D Rolling project for building into a Flat Tracker or...?

I had thought about building a flat tracker with this roller but priorities have changed with a Triumph 750 to finish and the MGB to get back onto the road and the '79 XS 650 F to clean up for Summer among others... Busy, just like everyone else.

The roller is just a frame, stock fork, wheels, and engine with three (3) sets of carbs, no tins etc...

$400.00 ~ Maine Coast, US

Bill of Sale only. VeeDub Not included... ;)

2 zero 7 / Three 5 0 - 0 three 8 six - Voice/Text or PM here...

Thanks,
rad__

l9fYBi.jpg

GiZsMY.jpg

Last edited:
She kick over?

Any idea of mileage?

Items of interest for others.

Yup, good idea, Steve, thanks....

The engine does kick through, right side is great compression, left side is less. I have no idea of mileage I have no gauges. As stated, the frame is stock and un-cut anywhere and includes both stands. Aluminum wheels are in good condition.

Your basic blank slate.

Best,
Rob

Looks like a great start to a fun project Rob!

...one tiny correction:
  • if the bike is a 1977 then its a D-model (XS650D)
  • if the bike is a 1978, then its an E-model (XS650E)
Yamaha in the early 1970s went through a goofy period where they simply could not seem to sort out the model names and designations of their products.

There was nothing wrong with the bikes they built but the confusing and ever-changing model designation systems caused several people, especially in the bike magazines of the day, to suggest that their marketing department likely consisted of a chalkboard outside the plant on which passersby wrote their suggestions - which were then promptly implemented by the company.

Anyhow, the lettering system that Yamaha eventually used got started in 1974 <sort of> with the TX650A, and then they settled on XS650 in 1975 with the B-model (as in XS650B), 1976 was the C-model (XS650C), 1977 - the D-model (XS650D)....etc., etc. In their street bike line-up, they used the "XS" designator for four-stroke bikes and the "RD" for two-strokers (I think it meant "ring-ding" or maybe it was Japanese for "bring me a case of injector oil and a six-pack of pistons") for quite a few years with the nominal engine size and then a single letter that designated the year (so a 1976 two-stroke 400 cc bike was an RD400C.

When the "Special" cruiser models came along in 1978, they simply added an "S" before the year designator - as in XS650SE - which would be a 1978 XS650 Special.

They followed that system up until the next upheaval in the 1980s when they started in on their modern multi-cylinder bikes - post the XS11 or XS1100 in some markets.

Simple eh?

Last edited:
Gosh, thanks for thinking of me guys, but I'm SELLING motorcycles, not buying them...

I think there's a Gen4 Mustang GT calling my name, gonna do a little research tomorrow.
Nooooooooooo…..say it ain’t so DE!

Need a project...?

1977 Yamaha XS 650 D Rolling project for building into a Flat Tracker or...?

I had thought about building a flat tracker with this roller but priorities have changed with a Triumph 750 to finish and the MGB to get back onto the road and the '79 XS 650 F to clean up for Summer among others... Busy, just like everyone else.

The roller is just a frame, stock fork, wheels, and engine with three (3) sets of carbs, no tins etc...

$400.00 ~ Maine Coast, US

Bill of Sale only. VeeDub Not included... ;)

2 zero 7 / Three 5 0 - 0 three 8 six - Voice/Text or PM here...

Thanks,
rad__

View attachment 322812

View attachment 322813
hey Radxs....newbie here, just joined. Is that 650 roller still available or did it go away????

hey Radxs....newbie here, just joined. Is that 650 roller still available or did it go away????

Hey vmx,
There is a short line of fellows interested and i am doing the "First come" thing.
If it does not go away, I'll let you all know.

I am flying back home tomorrow and I'll get back to you all then.

Thanks,
Rob

Back