1978 Yamaha XS650

ElCamMan515

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just purchased my 1st bike. A 1978 XS650 for $250. It needs a few things, but it complete from what I can tell. First It needs an ignition switch and keys, does anyone know where I can source one or does anyone have one for a 1978?

Glad to join the forum.

Tim

Attachments

• 20200514_130034.jpg
    20200514_130034.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 152
Congratulations !
and welcome.
Looks like you have a fine starting point for a good rider.
I was in North Norwich last week on my '82; its a great cruising area.
The switch is available new, I think, at MikesXS and used on EBay, but I might have one.
I'll go look after breakfast.

Dude

Congrats on your good looking find. There is lots of good info on this site. The tech section is loaded.

tim

ElCamMan515,

That looks like a good bike, my first question is did you get a clear title with it? Sometime that can be one of the biggest things when dealing with an old bike like this.

Been a while since I was down that way. In better weather and when I'm feeling good we like to ride down to Hamilton for lunch and back up to Georgetown then route 80 back to Route 20 and home from there.

I have a maroon 1978 that is close to being rideable, other than lack of ambition the main hold-ups are rear tire, oil in forks, battery and getting the title transfered. Actually have the title from last owner but no bill of sale! Guess I'm going to have to forge that as the guy passed away about a year ago, just don't tell the DMV!

Welcome Tim - from Canada's sunny southern coast in Windsor, Ontario!

That's a great start on a fine bike - the XS650SE! I like the neat exhaust installation and with the help of the bunch of us on the forum, you should be in great shape for a fun ride very soon. As for the key - the ignition switch that Dude has seems to have a key but it won't match the seat/helmet or fuel tank lid locks on your bike. That is not a big problem though:
  • just copy down the four small numbers on the seat/helmet/fuel tank lock key cylinder (they should be clearly visible);
  • take the ignition key to a locksmith along with those numbers and,
  • they should have a blank for the seat/helmet/fuel tank lock (it will be the same blank as the ignition key and they had plenty in stock) and they should be able to cut a key for the seat/helmet/tank lock from those four numbers.
At least, that is how it worked for me around here. I think it cost $10 for the first key and then $5 each for spares.

Looks like you've got yourself a ballgame there!

Pete

Welcome Tim - from Canada's sunny southern coast in Windsor, Ontario!

That's a great start on a fine bike - the XS650SE! I like the neat exhaust installation and with the help of the bunch of us on the forum, you should be in great shape for a fun ride very soon. As for the key - the ignition switch that Dude has seems to have a key but it won't match the seat/helmet or fuel tank lid locks on your bike. That is not a big problem though:
  • just copy down the four small numbers on the seat/helmet/fuel tank lock key cylinder (they should be clearly visible);
  • take the ignition key to a locksmith along with those numbers and,
  • they should have a blank for the seat/helmet/fuel tank lock (it will be the same blank as the ignition key and they had plenty in stock) and they should be able to cut a key for the seat/helmet/tank lock from those four numbers.
At least, that is how it worked for me around here. I think it cost $10 for the first key and then $5 each for spares.

Looks like you've got yourself a ballgame there!

Pete

And depending on how handy you are it may be possible to reconfigure the locks on the bike to work with the key in the switch `Dude has.

I had the key for the locks and ignition for my 1978 but somehow someone broke the helmet lock. I managed to find a used helmet lock online that took a different key then disassembled the broken one and the "new to me" lock and swapped some tiny bits and now the ignition key works in the seat/helmet lock.

Ony problem in the future is if some body tries to get a new key made by using the numbers on the seat lock it won't work as the numbers are now wrong!

Welcome ElCamMan, your 78 pic shows a 78 Special .. thats very different from a 78E so the ignition switch being shown and discussed will not actually work for you.. You need to find a "Special" switch which is taller and has a steering stem lock built in ?
Take a look again please.
I like the Blue nice bike shown!
:cool:

Yamadude , I just happen to be looking into both types of 78 switches yesterday.
I'm wanting to re-key a "Special" switch to be the same as my "Standard" tank now
:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 20200515_104516.jpg
    20200515_104516.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 20200515_104410.jpg
    20200515_104410.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 143
Back