1979 "Keep It Simple" build

Good luck with your build. Seeing pictures of your basket case makes my project look easy. Have you done re-builds before? I am asking because I am on my first project bike.

Thanks! Yes, i have done builds before and work as an aircraft mechanic doing restoration work on old plans, so this is stuff i am familiar with.

jefft, the paint is Dupli-Color engine enamel with ceramic. The color is "cast coat iron" product number DE1651. The primer they recommend i had problems with and have since ditched for aviation zinc phosphate.

Two days in a row of getting to work on the old girl! I think this sets a new record!

Got the bottom case half painted and then baked it and the valve cover for 6hrs at ~200 degrees. I tell you what, that paint sure gets rock hard after baking!

20130219_173506_zpsb18a997e.jpg

Got a few more pieces done, hoping to do a final parts order this week and assemble the week after. The crank and transmission internals are headed for the solvent tank this week for a good scrub before final inspection.

20130221_092042_zps76957f81.jpg

20130221_092218_zpsc20d311e.jpg

The 79 transmission would allow for Mikes 5th gear where the 73 transmission wouldn't.
jefft

The engine looks great. That's going to look fantastic assembled. Nice change from black

Thanks! I was thinking of doing black but had problems with curing and then found this color, now that i have started using it i am very happy with it :)

The 79 transmission would allow for Mikes 5th gear where the 73 transmission wouldn't.

Yea, i was doing some reading on that and it seems people like the change, have you done it yourself?

No, I have not done the Mikes 5th gear change but many others here have and I believe most say it was surely worth while.
jefft

The Tub engine appears to be a 72-73 which has the big wrist pin bearings and the crank-cam gears are 17-34 instead of the later 18-36 Does it have the decompression valve cover yet? those are kinda cool. The large wrist pin bearing is not generally thought of as a good thing, they seem to hold up fine under street use but run the engine hard and the end of the rod will stretch making the wrist pin hole oval, "mayhem ensues". Very nice work so far!

No, I have not done the Mikes 5th gear change but many others here have and I believe most say it was surely worth while. jefft

After debating and lots of reading i decided to do the 5th gear upgrade as well as the solid clutch pushrod shaft. Seems like having everything apart it was wise to do everything to make it super reliable!

The Tub engine appears to be a 72-73 which has the big wrist pin bearings and the crank-cam gears are 17-34 instead of the later 18-36 Does it have the decompression valve cover yet? those are kinda cool. The large wrist pin bearing is not generally thought of as a good thing, they seem to hold up fine under street use but run the engine hard and the end of the rod will stretch making the wrist pin hole oval, "mayhem ensues". Very nice work so far!

Yes, the spare is a 73 and has the decompression cover with the mechanism. At some point i might make it into a 277 rephase if i have the money. Or it might just end up getting sold since it turns out i did not need any parts from it. :)

Got some stuff in the mail yesterday! My oil feed line was basically rusted through but I found one on ebay for a reasonable price!

20130303_204222_zps22391fed.jpg

My valves were all so pitted that I decided to just get all new ones. I could not seem to find stainless exhaust valves anywhere without dropping a LOT of money so I went with some NOS. They are absolutely perfect and even still in the original packaging!

20130303_204203_zps15b08f92.jpg

The last of my other parts are on the way as well, and should be here this week. Upgraded 5th and solid clutch rod as well as some other random things I ran into. My head is off to the shop this week for seat grinding, and I have just about finishing some smoothing of the internal passages. If it goes to plan I will be getting the crank cases back together this weekend and the rest soon to follow.

Dropped the head of at the machine shop today to get the seats freshened up. I was able to finish contouring the intake and exhaust passages over the weekend do that is finally almost done.

Unfortunately, things have been pushed back a bit, got called out of town for work this week and so was not able to work on it much over the weekend. However, i am taking the ultrasonic cleaner and my carbs with me so that even from the hotel room a can get some stuff done! I will be there for at least a week so that will be plenty of time :)

Oh, and i got all my parts from mikesxs!

Thanks! Yes, i have done builds before and work as an aircraft mechanic doing restoration work on old plans, so this is stuff i am familiar with.

jefft, the paint is Dupli-Color engine enamel with ceramic. The color is "cast coat iron" product number DE1651. The primer they recommend i had problems with and have since ditched for aviation zinc phosphate.

I like that color a lot. Gonna try to remember that when I do my engine.

Looking good. It always takes longer that you want it too.

Sorry for the long delay on the updates! I have actually been working on stuff a little here and there just slow going with lots of work in my shop and some out of town contracts too.

After cleaning and re-lubing the transmission and crank are all back in the case and along with the upgraded 5th gear from mikes.
20130406_145204_zpsa40c5792.jpg

I installed a new clutch pushrod bushing and will be using the solid pushrod upgrade from mikes when it goes back in.
20130403_202658_zps6356a28f.jpg

I also got the valve cover reassembled with all new orings and some upgraded rocker shaft plugs that I gave a good polish.
20130406_145106_zps12bc2cd3.jpg

The bottom end is now ready to go together... once I get in the new nuts and bolts to replace the crusty old stuff!

Last edited:
Been way to long since I updated this, but I am making good progress! The bottom end is all buttoned up and torqued with new hardware all around.
20130619_173632_zps0aa3a1b6.jpg

The pistons looked so good that I am not replacing them but new rings, cam chain, guides, etc.
20130620_181103_zps4cf27a3d.jpg

Today the head goes back on now that I have finished the mild port and have the seats re-cut.
20130620_123204_zpse03467a1.jpg

Sorry for the long delay on the updates! I have actually been working on stuff a little here and there just slow going with lots of work in my shop and some out of town contracts too.

After cleaning and re-lubing the transmission and crank are all back in the case and along with the upgraded 5th gear from mikes.
20130406_145204_zpsa40c5792.jpg

I installed a new clutch pushrod bushing and will be using the solid pushrod upgrade from mikes when it goes back in.
20130403_202658_zps6356a28f.jpg

I also got the valve cover reassembled with all new orings and some upgraded rocker shaft plugs that I gave a good polish.
20130406_145106_zps12bc2cd3.jpg

The bottom end is now ready to go together... once I get in the new nuts and bolts to replace the crusty old stuff!

Where did you get those big stainless allen fasteners??

Back