1979 Regulator rectifier questions!

Oxblood

Steel-Toed Sneakers
Reaction score
I'm trying to get back on the road with a severely reduced build fund so I'm digging through all my box of stuff to see what I got.

I had a tcbros battery box laying around and with the addition of some bracing and an old set of rear motor mounts I"ve got it mounted up. I'm going to file the holes out on the side to fit my stock coils so I think I got that under control.

TOSH0014.jpg

So my question is I looked through my manual and found a picture of my rectifier but couldn't find a regulator. Is this other thing my regulator? Can I mount these on the bottom of my battery box or should they be better shielded?

TOSH0015.jpg

Thanks,
Oxblood

Yes, those are the rectifier and regulator.

I suggest you not use either one. It would be better to use the "Radio Shack" bridge rectifier and a NOS "Standard VR-115" regulator. "Search" to find more info.

The rectifier needs a heat sink, but the VR-115 does not.

coils get hot, need to be in open air for cooling, and why run sparkplug wires any farther than you need to? better hotter spark with shorter wires

Yes, those are the rectifier and regulator.

I suggest you not use either one. It would be better to use the "Radio Shack" bridge rectifier and a NOS "Standard VR-115" regulator. "Search" to find more info.

The rectifier needs a heat sink, but the VR-115 does not.

Recently got laid off so my budget is effectively zero at this point. Just trying to get back on the road with what I got. I'll upgrade when I find a new job. So my question stands, can they be mounted out in the open to the bottom side of my battery box or do they need to be protected from the elements?

coils get hot, need to be in open air for cooling, and why run sparkplug wires any farther than you need to? better hotter spark with shorter wires

Had to reconfigure. Quick mock-up showed me they aren't going to clear the chain if I mount em to the side of my battery box. I scavenged my original coil mount and used some of my tcbros battery box kit to throw them under the seat.

TOSH0016.jpg

TOSH0017.jpg

TOSH0018.jpg

Last edited:
Back