1979 XS650 custom wiring

yanknek

XS650 Member
Reaction score
There is so many different wiring diagram, colors, parts and years. Im a little confused on my wiring. Can someone help connect the dots. I think I know most of it, but thats not quite good enough. I already have to buy a new pamco ign board because the guy before me done something wrong.
This is all the parts I am using + some in-line fuses I will be installing.
Please feel free to draw some lines on it. Alot of people are trying to use the same setup. So after its done and running. I will post the finished diagram.

79xs650wiring.jpg

Hope this helps some. I dont have turn signals, or a horn...Kick only. I also chose not to use the Aux. fused line that I diagramed. Up to you.

You also may need to make sure you get all the colors right on that reg/rec.

Good luck.

Attachments

• Pamco Wiring Diagram UPDATED.jpg
    Pamco Wiring Diagram UPDATED.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 16,468
  • Enlarged View of Alternator - Rectifier Wiring Diagram.png
    Enlarged View of Alternator - Rectifier Wiring Diagram.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 8,253
  • Enlarged view of Headlight swiitch wiring.png
    Enlarged view of Headlight swiitch wiring.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 362
  • Enlarged View of PAMCO and Coil wiring diagram.png
    Enlarged View of PAMCO and Coil wiring diagram.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,205
  • Enlarged View of Tail light wiring diagram.png
    Enlarged View of Tail light wiring diagram.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:
thank you for the help sir...looks like the only thing that is the same is the pamco ignition. 79 and earlier have different wiring colors. I should also mention that I unground the brushes. I think that is where some of the wiring changes.

I like this diagram. It shows the basic points set up with the TCI and combo reg/rec from the 80 up bikes. It even shows the starter.
Using the Pamco it just wires in after the engine stop switch(kill switch).
If the reg/rec you are using is set up for the 70-79 models you don't unground the brush. You unground the brush only if you use the 80 reg/rec on the 70-79 models.
Leo

Attachments

• 314w9s3.jpg
    314w9s3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 751
Once again... it is not showing the setup I have. Everything I see for the mikesxs combo reg/rec the wiring is not the same as an 80 and up reg/rec. Please don't think I'm sounding like an ass. I'm just getting flustered with it. It shows it like I have drawn it. But there is only like one other diagram wiring it that way. Does no one else have the mikesxs combo.

Mikes sells two reg/recs One designed as a stock replacement for the 70-79 bikes and one for the 80 up bikes. I have helped several to get Mike's reg/rec to work.
If you have one for the 70-79 bikes The way you have it hooked to the stator is fine. Just ground the case of the reg/rec. Easy to do just besure the case has a good clean bare metal to metal connection on at least on mount bolt. Bolt it right to the frame. Or run a ground wire from one mount bolt to the frame.
In the diagram I posted, look where the red and brown come up out of the alternator box. Using your diagram, the red and blue wires coming up from your alternator just hook the red to the red, blue to the brown. Then wire the rest as in the diagram I posted.
Leo

This is great man! Been looking for a diagram for the mikes Xs reg rec to wire from scratch for a while...

Ever get a final diag?

Not yet... For some reason I cant seem to keep it running long enough to check.

I put some time in yesterday and hooked up everything basically like you have shown in the last image you posted.

Got the bike running and its making right at 14 - 14.5 v and charging. Havent blown any fuses or anything so i think its good!

Still have to run a starter and some other electrical bits... but this part was one of the hardest parts...

Back