1979 XS650

1911master

1911master
Reaction score
First, what I have. 1979 xs650, after market headlight, aftermarket turn signals and exhaust.
Problems I have run into, fuel lines and petcocks that I have fixed, now I have a short that is blowing the main fuse when I hook up the battery.

I know by state laws I have to have headlight, taillight, brakelight, taglight and horn. I don't plan on doing a lot of changes to this bike, other than a PAMCO ignition system.

What I need info on is, should I just strip all the wiring and start from scratch?

I can see if I did I could simplify my life and get this up and running.

Thanks

Use the forum search function and search for "some wiring diagrams" in that thread you will find many many wiring diagrams for rewiring your bike. Just find one that works for your setup and have at it. In my opinion, it's easier to strip and rewire than to search and diagnose what is causing the issues. This way you will be intimately familiar with the wiring of all the components of your bike, so future issues are so much easier to deal with.

Solidrummer, yes I have searched the wiring diagrams. That's what has me thinking rewiring is the way to go, that and the fact that the bike is 37 years old.

It's definitely intimidating, but I just did a complete bike from scratch in about a day, it was my first rewire , and though I am mechanically inclined, I had no prior experience with wiring. Started first kick. It's really simple once you wrap your head around the basics. Just read every thread about wiring (and there is a lot) and read about issues others have had, learn from everyone else's mistakes and you are golden.

unless the wiring has been butchered, your short may just be a broken wire touching metal somewhere or an earth not earthing properly. If the loom is in good nick doing a comprehensive clean of all cuplings and bullet connectors and cleaning the earth's is sufficient. Doing this will make your bike run a lot better without any resistance in the loom

Back