1979 xs650F build

It's back together! And working! I'm going to go eat dinner now! Thanks all!

Attachments

• 20190718_182840.jpg
    20190718_182840.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 125
Okay.

This was my first motorcycle. And I put about 2,000 miles on it. I really had nothing to compare it to so I never noticed anything about it. Recently I had the opportunity to borrow a friend's Suzuki drz400sm. Very fun. A lot newer a lot lighter.

Now I feel like my bike doesn't stop very well. And I'm trying to figure out if my bike is stopping normally and that's just how XS650 stop. Because they're heavy. Or is there something wrong with the brakes.

I recently took the front caliper off sanded the brake pads because they were glazed and I sanded the rotor by spinning the wheel and using sandpaper to break some of the glaze. Although looking at it right now it's still pretty blue.

And I'm considering pulling the back break apart to sand it as well.

I did some reading last night on the farm. And realize that breaking is a heavily debated and talked about topic.

Do these bikes just not stop very well?

late to comment but a quick list;
BEFORE you remove caliper, crack loose, retighten, banjo bolt and 12mm head slide bolt.
BEFORE you remove brake line. with caliper off, pump piston out a ways with brake lever.
remove pad spring clip.
remove stainless ring and dust seal.
ad a bit of brake fluid around piston. (q-tip works well)
use a clamp and push piston IN a bit, back off clamp "some" use rubber tipped air gun in line port. to push out piston if it's not sliding easy now; repeat pushing in clamp add more brake fluid push out with air.
yes stuff arag in there and keep fingers out.

I did some reading last night on the farm. And realize that breaking is a heavily debated and talked about topic.

Do these bikes just not stop very well?
You are correct.
A stock 79F never did brake very well.
Now at 40 years old there are easy improvements to make.
The most common and perhaps the wisest choice would be to replace the original brake line with a modern braided steel line .
The Yamaha original “Sumitomo” brake pads and shoes are perhaps the best choice. I have personally experienced very bad front braking on two XS’s using EBC sintered pads, a common replacement.

Machine

Nice. I replace the pads don't remember what I used but I bought them from Mike's XS. So that could be part of it. And I replaced the brake lines with stock Replacements from Mike's as well. Sounds like I should order some different brake lines.

Not familiar myself with Mikes XS brake components but over the years that word “MikesXS” is flat out scary to me because of many many threads about poor fit or quality. I have never bought a single thing from MikesXS just for that very reason,
:shrug:

I think the stock system can be made to work reasonably and acceptably well with a few little "upgrades". Yes, a stainless brake line is a must in my opinion. I also drill the disc. The drilling helps in wet weather but will also give a small improvement in normal dry weather braking too. How does your lever feel once it engages the brake? Hard or soft and spongy? Rubber lines give a softer feel because they expand. Old ones expand too much and that's why you replace them. I couldn't tell you what a new rubber line feels like, I've never used one. I never would unless maybe the bike was a full 10 point restoration and needed rubber lines to be 100% correct. Using them otherwise makes no sense.

60YSMk2.jpg

Back