1980 Bobber Build on Mr. Lucky's Frame

Bent up a little bracket to hold my "speedometer" tonight. I'm using an unactivated Droid 2. I can still add all the apps I want over wifi, and I even found a free offline navigation program. That way, if I do need a GPS, I'll have one even without cell service.

P1020354.jpg

P1020355.jpg

P1020358.jpg

P1020359.jpg

P1020362.jpg

P1020363.jpg

P1020364.jpg

I wasn't really in love with the plain round TC Bros electric canister. I wanted something "different". Besides, those caps on the canister are so tight I bet it would be a bitch to get them back on after powder. Not sure what I came up with is great, but it certainly does qualify as "different". Going for a bit of the "War of the Worlds" look.

View from the left side:

2012-04-01102230.jpg

View from the right. Welded to keep the elements out.

2012-04-01102250.jpg

And left side with the cover in place:

2012-04-01102442.jpg

Compared to the TC canister:

2012-04-01104101.jpg

Kent

Look forward to seeing it mounted up! Maybe you can show us a pic of it with an end off, so we can see how all the "stuff" fits in there. Is this going to go right up to frame rails under the seat? or?
:)

Don't have the frame at the house here right now, so I have to wait to mount the bungs into it. It will mount in the same location as the TC canister, but should sit up a bit tighter to the frame rails. Need to punch a couple holes for my switches and grommets before sending it off to powder as well.

Kent

looks good, Kent. So, you decided to go ahead and paint rather than powdercoat?
Should be a good feeling for you, once it's all back together.
:)

Thanks, Em! I figured I could spray it myself a lot cheaper. I was kinda leaning toward going with black on the frame anyway, so a chassis paint with a high ceramic content should hold up pretty well. I didn't take any pics before paint, but I actually went over everything with a wire wheel, then used a rust treatment that leaves a zinc phosphate coating. Turns the entire frame gray.

Kent

It's a mix. The wheels, frame, and a couple other parts were done with a detail gun. Some other parts were rattle can with the same paint I used on the engine.

Kent

The bike doesn't look like I accomplished much today, but the mess in the garage says otherwise.

Rebuilt and installed both brake calipers
Installed rear brake master cylinder, pivot, and linkage
Installed front master cylinder
Made a new front brake line
Bled front and rear brakes
Installed throttle cable and housing
Installed Hugh's PMA kit
Installed Hugh's hydraulic clutch kit
Installed new front drive sprocket
Cleaned and installed chain

Just as I was getting to the point of pulling the rotor the mailman showed up with a shiny new rotor puller. I don't think I've ever paid so much for a tool that I've used for such a short amount of time. I think I put one turn on the puller and the rotor popped off. Hopefully I'll get some of the electrical knocked out tomorrow.

Kent

I am impressed!
any one of those things could have held me up for hours. May the wind stay in your sails!
Looking fwd to more pics.

I'd love to see a pic of how you have the elec stuff arranged in the box, if possible. but anyway, have fun.

Back