1980 special ehxast opinions

Guss80special

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello. I would like some opinions on where to get replacement ehxast for my 80 special. Preferably in Canada.

Xs650direct has a nice looking replica for $700 ish that I'm tempted to ask Santa to get me this Xmas :) any thoughts?

Also, I found a 1982 xs400 heritage of parts. I read on an older thread here that the header pipes from a 400 won't fit my bike, but what do you think about me using the just mufflers? I can buy the header pipes separately. I have not seen xs400 parts bike yet, but pics look good ;) the two setups look
very similar on google. IMG_1770.JPG

Attached pic is what I have. It's super loud and I don't like it at all. And I'm a bit concerned it won't pass an inspection. Not sure of the decibels or if it really matters. I just don't want it. I want to get it back to a 2-2 system. Thanks for your time!!! G

I'm using a 17 inch long super trapp that I got on craigs list for $50.00. Plus trip. I'm going angled up about 45 degrees. There are many aftermarket non-spec options. do what works and looks kick ass. I don't have inspections in Indiana, so short of being extremely loud, I can do what I want. I'd take a look at some cafe racer custom bikes. good luck.

Mikesxs Commando muffs in the 27" length with the stock Special head pipes are nice.
A bit of fabbing with a couple of adapters is needed.
Cut the old muffs off aft of the frame mount, right before the flare.
If memory serves well, the 1 3/8" OD X 1 1/2" ID adapter (trim the 1 1/2" ID side down to accept only 3/4" insert), 1 3/8" OD side goes onto the cut off inner pipe and then a length of 1 1/2" OD pipe - 2" +/- long inserted into the 1 1/2" ID side to attach the muffler to. 2 - 3/4" clamps for each side finishes it up.
Clear as mud, eh? Yeah, we'll it works and works well.
2 exhaust adapters, stock number 548520 and 1 length of stock number 548530 found at any quickie generic auto parts store.

What determines the length of 1 1/2"OD that is exposed to allow the muffler to attach to is the length of the mufflers cutouts at the clamping location.....if the cutouts are 3/4" long then one inch or more would be sufficient......gotta have solid pipe on the inside of the muffler going past those cutouts.

The Commandos that I had gotten from Mikesxs a few years ago have a 1 1/2" ID where it mounts to the header. The info above is for that application. I've seen where they have some with multiple inserts for reduction available....don' know nuttin' 'bout that.......

I looked at all those systems, but ultimately decided I wasn't 100% in love with any of them. Besides - I don't like chrome.

I bought an R1 exhaust can and am working to make that work for the time being.

You can't beat the Commando system from Mike's, or in your case XS Direct. I'm sure they carry it too. The mufflers look good, sound great, and perform well. Looks like you're going to need the whole system, headpipes and all. They sell it like that or separate. Do some price comparing, sometimes the separate components add up to less than the system. Here it is on my buddy's '80 Special II .....

BLoNpqo.jpg

..... and on my '78 Standard .....

YmuLS5h.jpg

Yup. I can get them here in straight or turned up ends. Thank you ... they look nice, especially with spoked wheels ;) I googled them and found a few videos showing the sound... about the same as mine I would say, so perhaps I'm just too ear sensitive. My last bike was a t100 bonneville with stock pea shooters . Very quiet. I liked it. Cheers.

The Commandos are a little louder than stock but not obnoxiously loud by any means. I think they make a motorcycle sound like a motorcycle should, nice and throaty but not too loud. I love mine. My buddy bought his because of how good mine sounded.

Mike's ought to sell a Commando kit that includes all hardware and instructions for adapting them to a Special. Shorter Commando MkII would be good too.

From what I've encountered, they don't match the hangers on the Special or Standard exactly. A little bracket fab work is required. But that's kinda par for the course with aftermarket exhaust systems.

IMG_1517.PNG
Yup. There's good instructions on mikesxs for the commando system. Take a look at this bike.... I love the look of the short cones!!! :)

You won't like the sound of those short megs. They're super, super, suuuuuuuper LOUD. It's really a joke even calling them a muffler, lol. That's what my buddy had before the Commandos. He got them cheap barely used because the P.O. found them to be too loud, sold them in a short while because they really were. I wonder how many more times they've been re-sold since then, lol.

+1 on Mikes Commando exhaust. I have the shorter cans and I don't think they are too loud plus they were easier to fit. And IMHO, the exhaust headers that follow the line of the frame look cleaner than the curved Special exhaust.

Back